- This event has passed.
Taking Submissions: Shock Totem
Deadline: May 31st, 2019 (From Submittable.)
Payment: 5 cents per word, reprints: 3 cents per word
Note: Reprints allowed
To submit or check the status of a previous submission, click here.
In addition to the guidelines below, please read the submission requirements on our Submittable page prior to uploading your submission.
WHAT WE WANT:
We consider original, unpublished work within the confines of dark fantasy and horror—mystery, suspense, supernatural, morbid humor, fantasy, etc.
WHAT WE DO NOT WANT:
We’re not interested in hard science fiction, epic fantasy (swords and sorcery), splatterporn (blood and guts and little more), or clichéd plots. Clichéd themes are okay. We won’t turn our noses up at the sight of zombies or serial killers or vampires, but there needs to be something that sets it apart from the norm for us to seriously consider it.
No fan fiction.
WHAT WE WILL CONSIDER:
Reprints. Unpublished work will always get first consideration. Any submitted reprint must be out of print and the author must retain all applicable rights. All previous publication information (for the submitted work only) must be disclosed.
All submissions must be sent via our Submissions Manager (see link at the top and bottom of this page). Please use 12pt Times New Roman font, double-spaced lines, and indented paragraphs. Use italics (do not underline for italicized words). Please include your full name, contact info, and word count in the document.
No simultaneous/multiple submissions.
Unless otherwise noted, we’re open from February through May, and August through November.
90 days or less.*
We pay 5 cents a word for original, unpublished fiction, and 3 cents a word for reprints, up to 5,000 words.
For previously unpublished work we claim First North American Serial Rights and First Electronic World Rights (not to include Internet use) for a period of one year. After which all rights revert to the author.
For previously published work we claim Reprint Rights and Exclusive Electronic World Reprint Rights (not to include Internet use) for a period of one year. After which all rights revert to the author.
Full payment/rights details will be provided if we make an offer.
* Response time is estimated, not guaranteed.
Via: Shock Totem.
- Taking Submissions: Thinking Horror Vol. 3: Folk Horror - July 19, 2019
- Ongoing Submissions: Unreal Magazine - July 18, 2019
- Taking Submissions: The Other Stories Vol 45. Abandoned Places - July 18, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Gruesome Games - July 17, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Mythical Girls - July 16, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Electric Spec November Issue 2019 - July 16, 2019
- Ongoing Submissions: Mortal Realm – New Worlds (Sci-Fi) - July 15, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Trigger Warning - July 15, 2019
- Trembling With Fear 07/14/2019 - July 14, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Tell-Tale Press Short Stories - July 12, 2019