- This event has passed.
Taking Submissions: Sanctuary
February 28, 2018
Deadline: February 28th, 2018
Payment: fifty percent of the royalties divided equally.
Darkhouse Books seeks poetry, flash, short fiction, and creative nonfiction reflecting the theme of sanctuary, refuge, shelter, or asylum, from the perspective of those offering, seeking, denying, or destroying it. From Bangladesh to the city animal shelter, all are welcome, as are all genres.
TIPS: If you are familiar with the Darkhouse Books anthology Descansos you will have some idea what the editors are looking for.
- This series leans toward the literary while welcoming all genres, so long as the author has paid close attention to craft.
- Send us work that stands out because of its excellence, of course, but also because of its creative take on the theme and on the craft of writing. Take a risk and do it with skill!
- When it comes to prose, the editors tend to prefer short and tight, but if you write long and you can prove us wrong, you’re in.
- We will accept reprints so long as the piece was published more than a year before you submit it, and you are submitting in accordance with the previous publisher’s guidelines, along with ours.
Please include whether your submission is poetry or prose in the subject line of your email, and include a cover page that lists the title, your name, and your contact information, as well as the name and date of any previous publication, if it is a reprint.
DO NOT INCLUDE YOUR NAME OR CONTACT INFORMATION in the body of YOUR PIECE. IF YOU DO, IT WILL NOT BE READ.
Format your piece in 12-point Times New Roman or Courier, double spaced, with initial indents of .5”, and 1” margins.
Send your manuscript as .doc or .docx.
Please submit no more than five poems and/or two prose pieces. Submissions may be emailed to [email protected], and should include the word Sanctuary in the subject line.
Submissions will be accepted from November 1st through midnight (PST) February 28th.
Payment to contributors is fifty percent of the royalties divided equally.
Further information may be found at http://www.darkhousebooks.com/submissions.
Via: Dark House Books.
- Taking Submissions: The Blue Route #22 - February 18, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Speculative City: Occult - February 18, 2019
- ‘Dominic’s Ghosts’ Blog Tour – And Get off My Lawn… Some Writerly Advice from 30 Years of Doing This - February 18, 2019
- WIHM: Knowing Your Industry - February 17, 2019
- Trembling With Fear 02/17/2019 - February 17, 2019
- WIHM: Be Brave, Be Delighted - February 16, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Apparition Lit Magazine (Short Window!) - February 15, 2019
- Creators Should Really Check Out The Available MasterClass Programs! - February 15, 2019
- Video Refresh: James Dorr Interview - February 15, 2019
- WIHM: Horror Is For Women - February 15, 2019