- This event has passed.
Taking Submissions: Rebuilding Tomorrow
Deadline: January 31st, 2019
Payment: 8 cents per word
Rebuilding Tomorrow is a followup anthology to Defying Doomsday, which was an anthology of apocalypse-survival fiction with a focus on disabled characters. Rebuilding Tomorrow will again focus on disabled and/or chronically ill protagonists but, rather than focussing on survival in the immediate aftermath of an apocalypse, we want stories set a significant time after an apocalyptic disaster. We want stories that show society getting back on its feet and people who have moved past (or are in the process of moving past) subsistence-level existence into a new, sustainable world, even though it’s one that has been irrevocably changed by an apocalypse.
We already have some fantastic stories lined up, but we want more! If you have an apocalypse story featuring a character with a disability, we would love to read it.
- (One of) the protagonist(s) must be a character with a disability or physical impairment, chronic illness, mental illness or neurodiversity etc. We will consider stories with characters experiencing all kinds of disability and illness and hope that submitting authors will be creative with the possibilities.
- We feel strongly that disability or chronic illness (etc) should have a frequent (if not daily) impact on the character’s life. For example, a character with a deadly peanut allergy in a world where peanuts have been wiped out by a plague isn’t going to quite cut it. However, we are not looking for issue stories or stories where disability is the sole focus of the narrative.
- Some sort of cataclysmic event must have occurred well before the start of the story. We are open to a variety of past events, including apocalypses, alien invasions, devastating war, natural disasters etc. Be creative! The important thing is that these events should be in the past, although characters may still be dealing with some longterm consequences.
- We are not interested in fantasy (that means no magic).
- Stories can be young adult or adult stories. Graphic themes and content are okay, but we’re not looking for erotica or gratuitous violence.
- Stories should be between 2000 and 6000 words in length and submitted in some approximation of standard manuscript format. We will happily accept .rtf, .doc and .docx files.
- No reprints, no simultaneous submissions, no multiple submissions.
We want a varied anthology with stories that are fun, sad, adventurous or horrific etc. We are also looking for variety in both characters and worldbuilding. Most of all, we are looking for good quality, well written stories. Note that, while we value #ownvoices stories, we do not require authors to disclose personal information to us.
Some things we already have covered (hard sells to steer away from):
- Stories featuring protagonists with upper limb deficiencies
- Stories where the central plot involves a happy community being temporarily disrupted by belligerent outsiders
Submissions are open from 1 October 2019 to 23:59 on 31 January 2020 Australian Eastern Standard Time.
Payment will be 8 cents per word (USD) to be paid on acceptance in exchange for First World Publication Rights, with an exclusivity period of 12 months (with the exception of Year’s Best reprints).
Email submissions to: [email protected]
Via: Twelfth Planet Press.