- This event has passed.
Taking Submissions: Outlook Springs
Deadline: January 15th, 2019
Payment: $10 per poem, $10 per flash piece (under 1,000 words), $25 for short fiction and essays (over 1,000 words).
Hello from Outlook Springs!
Send us your weird, wobbly wordwork: fiction, nonfiction, and poetry. See genres for specific submission guidelines, but here’s a quick rundown:
– Please only one submission at a time.
– Please submit only twice per Reading Period.
– Of course simultaneous submissions are OK. They should always be OK.
– Payment is $10 per poem, $10 per flash piece (under 1,000 words), $25 for short fiction and essays (over 1,000 words). Payment via PayPal or Venmo.
– Double-spaced, Times New Roman is good, but hey, you do you!
– Please don’t hide any curses or hexes in your semi-colons (ahem, Dave)
– See our site for some examples of what we publish (www.outlooksprings.com)
– No counterfeit exclamation points or hyphens
Questions? Email [email protected]
Thanks for submitting. Thanks for reading. Thanks for everything!
Send us stories we can’t put down. Our emphasis is literary fiction: “the Bigfoot’s heart in conflict with itself,” as Faulkner famously said. But we aren’t biased against genre. To the contrary! Experimental, science fiction, fantasy, slipstream, magical realism, minimalist, maximalist, flash, etc., etc., are all welcome into our home, so long as there is an emphasis on character and/or language rather than on cleverness and conceit. Let us reiterate: character and language are important. We want sentences radioactive with the bizarre, the beautiful, the ugly—the world as only you see it. Surprise us. Break our hearts. Humor is always a plus. Humor and heartbreak together? Oh, boy. That’s a dream come true. Outlook Springs isn’t looking for merely competent stories—stories that are technically proficient but emotionally cold. Zap us with life.
In short: send us your best work. We can’t wait to read it!
Your poetry: we want it. All of it. OK, slightly less than all of it. Some of it. Up to five poems. For instance: have you written a series of poems based on the classic television show Coach? Were you compelled by outside forces (poltergeists, demons, etc.) to write a series of poems based on the classic television show Coach? Are you one of the stars from the classic television show Coach? None of the above?
Here’s what we want: poems that ooze with sonic pleasure. (Please, just remember to wipe the ooze off before submitting.) Poems that stagger from line-to-line with an animated corpse’s lingering bravado. As with our fiction, we’re interested in strangely human, humanly strange pieces, that captivate and scintillate. We want language that surprises us. Language with strong enough voltage to shock us back to life. Send us your finest work. That’s all we ask.
- Ongoing Submissions: Historic Heroines - January 16, 2019
- Ongoing Submissions: parABnormal Magazine - January 16, 2019
- Ongoing Submissions: Remain Magazine - January 15, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Electric Spec May Issue 2019 - January 15, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Alternative Apocalypses - January 14, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Creatures - January 14, 2019
- Trembling With Fear 01/13/2019 - January 13, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Glass & Gardens: Solarpunk Winters - January 11, 2019
- Video Refresh: Taking The Next Step - January 11, 2019
- The Unholy Trinity: Unnatural Creatures – Aberrant Behavior - January 11, 2019