- This event has passed.
Taking Submissions: Outlook Springs!
August 15, 2019
Deadline: August 15th, 2019
Payment: $10 per poem, $10 per flash piece (under 1,000 words), $25 for short fiction and essays (over 1,000 words).
Send us stories we can’t put down. Our emphasis is literary fiction: “the Bigfoot’s heart in conflict with itself,” as Faulkner famously said. But we aren’t biased against genre. To the contrary! Experimental, science fiction, fantasy, slipstream, magical realism, minimalist, maximalist, flash, etc., etc., are all welcome into our home, so long as there is an emphasis on character and/or language rather than on cleverness and conceit. Let us reiterate: character and language are important. We want sentences radioactive with the bizarre, the beautiful, the ugly—the world as only you see it. Surprise us. Break our hearts. Humor is always a plus. Humor and heartbreak together? Oh, boy. That’s a dream come true. Outlook Springs isn’t looking for merely competent stories—stories that are technically proficient but emotionally cold. Zap us with life.
In short: send us your best work. We can’t wait to read it!
Hello from Outlook Springs!
Send us your weird, wobbly wordwork: fiction, nonfiction, and poetry. See genres for specific submission guidelines, but here’s a quick rundown:
– Please only one submission at a time.
– Please submit only twice per Reading Period.
– Of course simultaneous submissions are OK. They should always be OK.
– Payment is $10 per poem, $10 per flash piece (under 1,000 words), $25 for short fiction and essays (over 1,000 words). Payment via PayPal or Venmo.
– Double-spaced, Times New Roman is good, but hey, you do you!
– Please don’t hide any curses or hexes in your semi-colons (ahem, Dave)
– See our site for some examples of what we publish (www.outlooksprings.com)
– No counterfeit exclamation points or hyphens
Questions? Email [email protected]
Thanks for submitting. Thanks for reading. Thanks for everything!