- This event has passed.
Taking Submissions: On Spec
August 31, 2011
Deadline: August 31, 2011
Payment: See post
The ON SPEC editors are looking for original, unpublished speculative fiction (SF) and poetry — fantasy, horror, ghost stories, fairy stories, magic realism, etc. Our mandate is to give our readers the best SF we can find, regardless of the author’s nationality, and we have published authors from Canada, the U.S., Britain, New Zealand, South America, and more. In order to qualify for grants, we do have to maintain 80% Canadian content, which means it may take longer (an issue or two) for a non-Canadian work to appear in the magazine than a Canadian work bought at the same time. Send your short stories (max. 6000 words), short short stories (under 1000 words) or poetry (max. 100 lines) to the address above. Please note: we no longer require submissions in competition format.
ON SPEC buys first North American serial (magazine) rights to your work. We pay upon acceptance. Minimum payment for fiction is $50 and maximum payment is $200.
Pay rates are as follows and in Canadian dollars:
Poems (4-100 lines): $50 plus one contributor’s copy
Short-short stories (under 1000 words): $50, plus one contributor’s copy
Fiction (6000 words max.)
1000-2999 words: $125 plus 2 contributor’s copies plus a One year subscription
3000-4999 words: $175 plus 2 contributor’s copies plus a One year subscription
5000-6000 words: $200 plus 2 contributor’s copies plus a One year subscription
Extra copies may be purchased at the following Contributor Rates, regardless if the issues is current or a back issue at the time of the order:
In Canada: $4.00 Cdn each, plus postage (includes GST)
IN USA: $4.00 US each, plus postage
Overseas: $4.00 US each, plus postage
The rest of the information can be found on On Spec’s Submission Page.
- Taking Submissions: Contrary Spring 2019 Issue - December 14, 2018
- Video Refresh: The Waiting Game - December 14, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Great Weather For Media - December 13, 2018
- Ongoing Submissions: The Master’s Review - December 13, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Blood Bath Literary Zine Issue 2: DEMONS - December 12, 2018
- Taking Submissions: AGNI Online - December 12, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Penny Fiction 2019 - December 11, 2018
- Ongoing Submissions: Future Science Fiction Digest - December 11, 2018
- Taking Submissions: The Literary Hatchet - December 11, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Monsters Out of the Closet Episode 18 – Gothic - December 10, 2018