- This event has passed.
Taking Submissions: On Spec
August 31, 2011
Deadline: August 31, 2011
Payment: See post
The ON SPEC editors are looking for original, unpublished speculative fiction (SF) and poetry — fantasy, horror, ghost stories, fairy stories, magic realism, etc. Our mandate is to give our readers the best SF we can find, regardless of the author’s nationality, and we have published authors from Canada, the U.S., Britain, New Zealand, South America, and more. In order to qualify for grants, we do have to maintain 80% Canadian content, which means it may take longer (an issue or two) for a non-Canadian work to appear in the magazine than a Canadian work bought at the same time. Send your short stories (max. 6000 words), short short stories (under 1000 words) or poetry (max. 100 lines) to the address above. Please note: we no longer require submissions in competition format.
ON SPEC buys first North American serial (magazine) rights to your work. We pay upon acceptance. Minimum payment for fiction is $50 and maximum payment is $200.
Pay rates are as follows and in Canadian dollars:
Poems (4-100 lines): $50 plus one contributor’s copy
Short-short stories (under 1000 words): $50, plus one contributor’s copy
Fiction (6000 words max.)
1000-2999 words: $125 plus 2 contributor’s copies plus a One year subscription
3000-4999 words: $175 plus 2 contributor’s copies plus a One year subscription
5000-6000 words: $200 plus 2 contributor’s copies plus a One year subscription
Extra copies may be purchased at the following Contributor Rates, regardless if the issues is current or a back issue at the time of the order:
In Canada: $4.00 Cdn each, plus postage (includes GST)
IN USA: $4.00 US each, plus postage
Overseas: $4.00 US each, plus postage
The rest of the information can be found on On Spec’s Submission Page.
- Trembling With Fear 10/14/2018 - October 14, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Dreamforge - October 12, 2018
- Video Refresh: Karen Runge Interview - October 12, 2018
- Closed Market: Iridium Magazine - October 11, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Enchanted Gardens Anthology - October 11, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Compelling Science Fiction - October 10, 2018
- Taking Submissions: The Splatter Club: Fresh Meat 2018 - October 10, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Story Seed Vault - October 10, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Nothing Without Us - October 9, 2018
- Contest: St. Martin’s Minotaur/ Mystery Writers of America First Crime Novel Competition - October 9, 2018