- This event has passed.
Taking Submissions: Nobrow Short Story Competition ‘The Censor’
December 9, 2019
Deadline: December 9th, 2019
Prizes: £2000 for the winner and £150 and two complimentary for selected contributors
Nobrow is well-known for our visual publishing and our dedication to designing and producing beautiful books. This is something we are extremely proud of. At the heart of all we do is storytelling. We believe this is the foundation on which our publishing is built – we love all forms of storytelling, be it visual, lyrical or literary. It is all aimed at transporting a reader to another place and time and keeping them there; transfixed.
That is why we are delighted to announce we are running the Nobrow Short Story Competition for writers! Up to twelve winning entries will be published in our short story anthology, and this beautifully illustrated book will celebrate the best short fiction and non-fiction writing.
Our theme is ‘The Censor’. You can interpret this in any way you wish – it could represent censoring of the past, present and future; the self; the state; or the effects of censorship on everyday life. As a provocation we hope our theme can provide a rich vein of storytelling inspiration for anyone wishing to take part in the competition. We are looking for inclusive, surprising, ingenious and diverse responses that capture our minds and hold us until every word is devoured.
It is completely free to enter, and we welcome submissions that you may already have written as long as they have not been previously published and can be related to the theme of The Censor.
An overall winner will receive £2000.
All selected contributors will receive £150 and two complimentary copies of the book, and will be invited to attend events including a launch and readings.
9th December 2019, midnight BST time.
- A submission is defined as a short story of up to 3,000 words or a creative non-fiction piece of up to 3,000 words.No illustrations will be accepted.
- Submissions should be sent via email attachment to [email protected]. The subject line of your email must contain “Nobrow Short Story Competition”. The attachment must be a Word document or PDF. Please ensure the title of the Word document or PDF is the official title of your submission. Your submission should clearly state if it is Non-Fiction or Fiction.
- Your entry should have page numbers, and be double spaced in 12-point text. Submissions are read anonymously, so please do not include your name or any other identifying details anywhere in the file.
- All entrants must have read the terms and conditions as outlined in theThe Censor T&Csdocument.
For a print version of our guidelines please follow this link.
- Taking Submissions: Claw & Blossom: Equinox: Stripes - January 28, 2020
- Guest Post: How to Submit a Short Story for Publication: The Complete 10-Step Process - January 28, 2020
- Taking Submissions: Horror USA: Hawaii - January 28, 2020
- Taking Submissions: Untitled Ghost Stories Anthology - January 27, 2020
- Taking Submissions: Horror for Hire - January 27, 2020
- Taking Submissions: In Darkness, Delight: Fear the Future (Volume 3) - January 24, 2020
- Taking Submissions: Untitled Local Oddities Cemetery Gates Anthology - January 23, 2020
- Taking Submissions: A Monster Told Me Bedtime Stories - January 23, 2020
- Taking Submissions: One Story - January 22, 2020
- Ongoing Submissions: Public Domain Fanzine - January 22, 2020