- This event has passed.
Taking Submissions: Massacre Magazine Winter Solstice Horror Issue
October 15, 2013
Deadline: October 15th 2013
Payment: Exposure Only
Deadline for general submissions with any horror theme is October 15th 2013 (midnight, GMT). Submissions received AFTER this time will be considered for future editions. Click HERE for full submission guidelines. [this can also be viewed under Guidelines below]
As the summer recedes and the days grow shorter…and darker…and colder, the longest night approaches. Massacre Magazine is looking for winter solstice themed stories for its first edition. Can your words chill Jack Frost to the bone? Will your demons drive an icicle through the heart of Krampus? Whether your story is about the longest night itself, rituals gone awry, Hell freezing over, or creatures that lurk beneath our frozen surface, we want to see it. Deadline for winter solstice themed stories is October 31st 2013 (midnight, GMT). Word count: 1000 – 5000. In the subject line of your email please put: SOLSTICE/YOUR NAME/TITLE OF YOUR WORK. For complete guidelines click HERE.
It is our aim to release Issue 1 with the winter solstice content around December 1st 2013. However, we are looking for great writing and if this means we have to extend that date we will do so. We will provide further information if you are accepted and before you sign a contract.
What do we need?
We do not accept submissions by post or courier. You must submit to us by email and the address is: [email protected]
1. In the subject line of your email please put: MAGSUB/YOUR NAME/TITLE OF YOUR WORK
2. Attach your work as a .doc .docx or .rtf attachment ONLY. Emails with other kinds of attachment (eg. Zipped files) will be deleted. Sorry, but this is for internet security.
Manuscripts should be formatted in 12 point Times New Roman, double spaced with one inch margins. Please indent paragraphs do not TAB; no spaces between paragraphs – spaces should only be between scenes (yes, we know we can reformat them but it saves a lot of time). We are currently looking for short stories only – total word count 1,000 – 5,000.
3. In the body of the email tell us a bit about your background and your writing. Don’t fret over it – if your writing is good we won’t reject you on the basis of a lousy covering letter. We just want to know who you are and that you can follow basic instructions. Just be yourself. Oh, and give us links to your website or blog, Facebook, Twitter and so on if you have them (don’t go rushing off to sign up if you don’t – it isn’t make or break).
When will you hear from us?
At the moment we aim to reply within 30 days and often it is sooner. However, we reply to all submissions whether we are interested in taking them further or not; we think this is polite and it means you’re not left wondering.
Can you submit to other publishers/agents at the same time?
Of course. We think it’s unreasonable to demand exclusivity. All we ask is that you let us know if you are offered a contract in the meantime
What else do you need to know?
Please don’t send us more than one story at once. If you have more than one please wait for us to respond to the first before sending another.
Please only submit original work that belongs to you and has not been previously published. We do not accept unsolicited reprints.
Please only submit completed manuscripts – not works in progress.
We do not pay contributors – although it is our aim to do so in the future as we monetise the site and magazine. Gaining that all-important exposure for new writers is our main objective, and we will strive to make Massacre Magazine as widely available as possible. Contributors will each have a short expose within the magazine, and a spotlight feature on the Massacre website. Contributors to the first issue will each receive a free PDF of the magazine, and a “Founding Contributor” badge to display on their websites.
[via: Massacre Publishing.]
- Taking Submissions: Dread: A Furry Horror Mag - April 20, 2018
- Guest Post: Writing Horror - April 20, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Slice #24: Time - April 19, 2018
- Eraserhead Press & Deadite Press Are Open To Novels And Novellas - April 19, 2018
- Taking Submissions: The Working Zealot’s Guide to Gaining Capital in Pre-Apocalyptic America - April 18, 2018
- Serial Killers: It’s Always Easier In The Dark Part 4. The brother who was a Father - April 18, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Deductions, Delinquents, and Detectives - April 17, 2018
- Taking Submissions: In The Air - April 17, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Knucklehead Noir - April 16, 2018
- Trembling With Fear 04/15/2018 - April 15, 2018