- This event has passed.
Taking Submissions: Luna Station Quarterly – June 2020
Deadline: February 15th, 2020
Payment: $5 USD
Theme: “Most” Speculative fiction, read below for specifics.
Note: Open only for women-identified authors.
Submissions for Luna Station Quarterly close on February 15th.
Simply follow the schedule below to be notified when we close and open for submissions.
Luna Station Quarterly publishes speculative fiction written by women-identified authors. We think women write awesome characters and really cool stories and we want to show it to the world. We will consider stories submitted by any woman writer, regardless of experience or writing resume. If you consider yourself on the woman end of the gender spectrum in any significant capacity, you’re welcome here!
Stuff we want:
- Science Fiction
- Space Opera
- New Fairy Tales (not retellings)
- Some creepiness
- Stories that explore the nooks and crannies of an original world
- Big events from the everyman perspective
- Unique settings and storytelling forms
- Well written stories with strong characters
Stuff we don’t want:
- Anything biased toward any religion, race or moral preference
- Extreme gore or sexual content, in particular no explicit rape or sexual assault. (everything in moderation)
- Bizarro fiction
- Fan Fiction (original stories only, please)
- Bad grammar/punctuation (please proofread and watch your sentence structure!)
A further note about sex and violence in submissions.
Science fiction has a long-standing tradition of pushing boundaries and asking difficult questions. It is meant to challenge us and ask us to look at ourselves and how we treat each other and the world around us. That said, LSQ is centered on uplift and so any story that contains explicit sexual situations or violence especially toward women will be considered more carefully than other stories and the content must be justified within the story’s arch.
Format and Details
Stories should be 500 to 7000 words in length. We may publish longer or shorter works, but the greater your story is above or below limit, the less likely we are to publish it. No poetry please.
We welcome simultaneous submissions, but please let us know if your work has been accepted elsewhere.
A Note on File Format
Standard Manuscript Format required. Need a reference? Check here.
Make your files neat and tidy and include Title and Author on the first page! Send your submissions to us (via our submission form) in the following formats:
NOTE: We are no longer accepting simultaneous submissions. Do not submit a story to us if you have submitted it elsewhere.
Reprints & Multiple submissions
We prefer original works, but will consider reprints. Authors should be sure they have the right to sell reprints. If your work is a reprint, include any necessary reprint information at the bottom of the work, such as “First appeared in XYZ Magazine, May 2011.”
Multiple submissions are not considered. One submission per period.
Luna Station Quarterly is published once a quarter, and has the following schedule:
|March 1st||September 15th – November 15th|
|June 1st||December 15th – February 15th|
|September 1st||March 15th – May 15th|
|December 1st||June 15th – August 15th|
Our response time varies, but we will try to reply to you by six weeks after the end of the submission period for each issue.
Feel free to contact us (via the contact form) if we do not acknowledge your submission has been received within three weeks of the end of the submission deadline. If you want to ask about something you have submitted, it is extremely important to use the contact form) and include the date when you sent the submission.
If your story is accepted, you will receive an email that includes the publication date and a short, simple contract. This must be returned before publication or your story will not be published.
Copyright remains yours at all times. We simply ask for the right to publish your story on our website, and also add it to the ebook (epub, mobi, pdf) and print versions. All stories will be archived indefinitely on our website. If you want us to remove a story from our archive, please write us via the contact form to let us know.
Anthology rights: to be determined later. If ever such a thing comes to pass, authors will be contacted to work out terms.
Luna Station Quarterly pays $5 USD for each story, payment made via PayPal. In addition, authors receive a lifetime subscription to the ebook version of the magazine. We also provide a profile page for all authors which may be used to link to a homepage and display biographical info and social media links.
We reserve the right to change the submission process between issues. If you have any futher questions regarding this process, please use the contact form to get in touch.
Here’s the link to our submission form. Good luck!
Submit Your Story
- Ongoing Submissions: Cosmic Horror Monthly - February 20, 2020
- Taking Submissions: Corners of the World - February 20, 2020
- Taking Submissions: Disturbia - February 19, 2020
- Taking Submissions: Every Day Fiction – April 2020 Themes - February 19, 2020
- Taking Submissions: Historic Fantasy - February 18, 2020
- WIHM: Just Sit Down and Bleed: On Writing Female and Diverse Characters - February 18, 2020
- Taking Submissions: Worst Laid Plans: An Anthology of Vacation Horror - February 18, 2020
- Taking Submissions: Acethetic - February 17, 2020
- WIHM: Redefining the Horror Genre - February 17, 2020
- Taking Submissions: Gotta Wear Eclipse Glasses - February 17, 2020