- This event has passed.
Taking Submissions: Hookman and Friends
June 5, 2020
Deadline: June 5th, 2020
Payment: $5 for anything under 5000 words. $10 for anything over 5000 words.
Theme: New Tales About The Hookman
Note: Reprints Welcome
For this anthology, we’re looking for the best of the many variations of The Hookman tale along with some classic slashers. If you are unfamiliar with the legend or just want a refresher, follow this link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hook
What makes The Hookman legend fun is that it changes so much depending on location. Sure, the formula is the same, but the details change, the killer changes, and the motivations behind the madman’s crimes change. In the small town where I grew up we have a local legend that follows the Hookman formula pretty closely, but varies in a few major ways: he is called Pig Man, he uses an axe instead of a hook, he wears the head of a pig instead of a dark coat, he haunts a lonely stretch of road instead of lovers’ lane, and he’s a reclusive country killer instead of an escaped convict, but his crimes are just as horrific and his tale just as chilling. For one of the other editors, growing up in California, it was the Beer Can Killer Man they were warned about. A madman in the woods murdering people with beer cans for hands, but, you know, still essentially Hookman.
We’re looking for more stories like these with a few classic slasher stories in between. Whether you have your own local take on Hookman, want to make up a completely new take, or have a new sadistic slasher you’ve been wanting to bring to life, send us your best horror stories paying homage to the escaped madman hunting teens on lovers’ lane.
Submission Deadline: June 5th, 2020
Word Count: 2,000 – 7,500. A little over or under is fine.
Payment: $5 for anything under 5000 words.
$10 for anything over 5000 words.
- Include a bio or greeting with your email. We don’t need a lot, but at least let us know who you are.
- Please send all submissions as a .docx or .rtf attachment with the subject line of your email as: DBND – HMAF – Story Title
- Stories sent after the submission deadline will be rejected unread.
- Multiple submissions welcome.
- Simultaneous submissions are fine, but please keep us updated on the status if your story is picked up elsewhere.
- Reprints will be considered.
- Don’t sit on your submission! If we reach the word count for the anthology, we will close submissions early.
Send submissions to: [email protected]
Via: DBND Publishing.