- This event has passed.
Taking Submissions: Helios Quarterly Magazine
Deadline: June 15th, 2019
Payment: $0.06USD per word for fiction, .01 per word fiction reprints, $50 for poetry, $15 for poetry reprints.
SPECIAL CALL: Helios Quarterly turns 5 in 2020! Over the years, we’ve published less horror than science fiction & fantasy. And, we haven’t published as many BIPOC (Black, Indigenous & People of Color) as we would have liked. We want to change that. For our upcoming call for submissions, we’re especially interested in horror short stories and poetry by Black, Indigenous, and other poets and authors of color.
Helios Quarterly Magazine is a quarterly periodical of horror, science fiction, and fantasy published in March, June, September, and December. We accept unsolicited submissions from JUNE 1-15 11:59 EST every year. Anything submitted outside of this window will be deleted unread.
A short cover letter is required submitted alongside the text of your submission. Please include your legal name, pen name (if relevant), contact information, PayPal email address (if different), recent publications/awards (if any), preferred contributor’s copy (.epub or .mobi for Kindle™), and a third person bio of 50-150 words. A photo is optional.
We take 2-3 weeks to respond to submissions. If you haven’t received a response by then, please query. Email submissions are deleted unread. If you have any questions, email subs [at] heliosquarterly.com.
POETRY: Any length paid $50USD per poem.
FICTION: 100-17,500 words paid $0.06USD per word.
REPRINTS: Any length of poetry paid $15USD and 100-17,500 words of fiction paid $0.01USD per word.
- Translations are accepted
- Simultaneous submissions to other markets are accepted
- Only submit one submission in each category (one short story, one poem, one reprinted short story, and one reprinted poem per person)
- Copyright remains with the author and poet at all times
- Non-exclusive archival rights as long as the website(s) hosting the work are online
- First world electronic and print rights in English with exclusivity for 6 months from the date of publication
- If selected to be republished in an anthology in the future, payment in royalties is $0.01USD per word
- If selected for a podcast or audiobook, payment is $0.01USD per word for non-exclusive electronic audio rights
- Excerpts out of a novel
- Poorly formatted and edited work
- Overtly racist, sexist, or violent work
- Fanfiction of any kind
- Works above the word count
- Taboo elements (rape in all forms, incest, pedophilia, etc.) in almost all cases
- People of Color, disabled people, women, LGBTQIA, and other marginalized groups at the forefront
- Dieselpunk, Solarpunk, Arcanepunk, Weird Westerns, Cyberpunk, Magic Realism, Gothic Romance, Retrofuturism, Afrofuturism, Cli-Fi and other lesser-known sub-genres
- Taking Submissions: The One and Future Kingdom - September 20, 2019
- Taking Submissions: The Other Stories (Vol 46.) Beyond Death - September 19, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Cosmic Roots And Eldritch Shores - September 19, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Underbelly Magazine #5 - September 19, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Glitter + Ashes: Queer Tales of a World That Wouldn’t Die - September 18, 2019
- Taking Submissions: “Deep Underground” Novellas - September 18, 2019
- Contest: Tales From The Moonlit Path: Halloween Special Edition - September 17, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Resistance Art Attack - September 17, 2019
- Taking Submissions: LampLight Magazine - September 16, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Trouble Among The Stars #4 - September 16, 2019