- This event has passed.
Taking Submissions: Folk Horror Anthology
Deadline: August 6th, 2023
Payment: 8 cents/6 pence per word.
Theme: Folk Horror
A New Collection of Horror Stories
We are very excited to give you advance notice of a new call for submissions on the theme: Folk Horror. Folk horror evokes the spirit of the land. With the steady rhythm of ancient life it breathes in the stories that dwell amongst the shadows, and exhales thick shrouds of darkness to overwhelm the reader with the shivering and writhing of supernatural murmurings. Dark folkloric tales emerge from the forests of the North, the deserts of the south, the mountain passes and the long cold nights under the stars. Can you conjure such fare from your dark imagination? We’re looking for four stories to join the curated selection by Paul Kane and Marie O’Regan which will launch our new series, Beyond and Within, next Summer.
Submit to: [email protected]
- Multiple submissions are fine but must be in separate emails.
- Simultaneous submissions are fine but you must have the right to license your story in an anthology.
- Please only submit unpublished/original/new stories for consideration. Reprints will not be accepted for consideration.
- For accepted stories we pay Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America (SFWA) rates of 8 cents/6 pence per word.
- We will aim to read each story and confirm its status within 4 months of the submission deadline.
- Payment for the chosen stories will be made within 30 days of the final advertised publication date (see our website flametreepublishing.com for details), although some may be paid earlier than that.
- Submission does not imply the right to publication. Each story will be read and assessed by the selection panel.
Important Notice about Submissions and Guidelines
We’re always looking for better ways of working so we’ve tweaked our submission process to allow us to read more stories, and spend more time assessing the balance of our books.
- Submissions must use the dedicated email address.
- The subject line of the email must be the story title.
- The file with the story must be attached to the email (.docx, .doc or .rtf format).
- The name of the file must match the name in the subject line.
- If submitting more than one story, please submit one story per email.
Other useful tips for a more successful submission:
- The file name of the submission must be the story name only.
- Please just use spaces between words in the title (not _ or – ).
- If the story name starts with A or The, please use it at the beginning of the file name.
- Story length is most likely to be successful at 2000–4000 words, but we will still read stories slightly outside this range.
- If submitting a story that has recently been submitted to us for consideration to another anthology, please state this in the submission email.
- Deadline for submissions is 6th August 2023
Thank you, and good luck!
Via: Flame Tree Publishing.
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
Stuart Conover is a father, husband, published author, blogger, geek, entrepreneur, horror fanatic, and runs a few websites including Horror Tree!