- This event has passed.
Taking Submissions: Fireside Magazine Spring 2021 Issue (Short Acceptance Window!)
June 19, 2020
Submission Period: June 15, 2020 to June 19, 2020
Payment: 12.5 cents per word
Theme: Fireside has two goals: to find and publish great stories regardless of genre, and to pay our writers and artists well.
Fireside holds a submissions period for each upcoming issue of Fireside Quarterly. In 2020, Fireside will be open to submissions for short stories during the following periods:
- June 15, 2020 to June 19, 2020
Submissions period for the Spring 2021 Issue
- August 23, 2020 to August 27, 2020
Submissions period for the Summer 2021 Issue
- November 30, 2020 to December 4, 2020
Submissions period for the Autumn 2021 Issue
We welcome previously unpublished work (‘published’ includes work posted on Patreon or on a blog) in English or Spanish from all writers, and we are especially interested in seeing work from people of color, LGBTQIA people, disabled people, members of religious minorities, and people outside the United States. We strongly encourage submissions from people of those backgrounds, and all others whom traditional publishing has historically excluded.
If you have any questions about how to submit please email us at: [email protected].
We use an online form to gather submissions, but we understand that this may not be universally accessible to disabled people. If you have questions related to accessibility, please email us at [email protected] with the subject line: Accessibility Query. Accessibility Queries should only contain a request to submit by alternate means, and not be a submission.
Any submissions sent via email will be deleted unread.
We accept short stories up to 3,000 words. Our budget allows us to pay for up to 7,000 words per month, which means we are always going to buy more shorter fiction than longer stories.
- Stories in English or Spanish
- Stories that have never been published before.
- Short stories up to 3,000 words.
- Stories of any genre with a strong beginning/middle/end plot arc.
- Submissions from anywhere in the world, from all kinds of voices.
- Double spaced Docx or RTF files set in a 14 point serif font like Times New Roman.
- Cover letters are optional, but they are great places to tell us about your connection the material, personal background or identity, and to include content warnings if your story deals with difficult subject matter.
- Only one story per author — no multiple submissions.
- Sending your story to other venues (simultaneous submissions) is okay, but we ask that you please withdraw immediately if you take another offer by emailing [email protected].
Please don’t send us:
- Stories that promote fascism, racism, sexism, homophobia, ableism, etc.
- Stories longer than 3,000 words (please don’t email to ask if you’re the special exception — you’re not).
- PDF files
- Stories attached to or pasted into the body of an email. Submissions sent via email will be deleted unread.
- Stories that use intellectual property that is under copyright (we enjoy fanfic, but we don’t publish it).
What to expect from us:
- Fireside acquires English language rights in print, digital, and audio formats. Please see our Story Contract Boilerplate for the full text of our contract.
- First responses (either a rejection or a second round notice) within approximately 30 days from the end of our reading period, and a final decision by the end of June, 2020.
- Payment of 12.5 cents per word
Via: Fire Side Fiction.
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
Stuart Conover is a father, husband, published author, blogger, geek, entrepreneur, horror fanatic, and runs a few websites including Horror Tree!