- This event has passed.
Taking Submissions: Enchanted Conversation: Water Theme
May 20, 2019
Deadline: May 20th, 2019
Submissions now OPEN
UNTIL MAY 20
for the JUNE Issue
Enchanted Conversation is looking for stories and sequential art (aka comics) that use the theme of water in some way. The idea of water can be the ocean, lakes, streams, a pond, rain, a puddle, a backyard pool, or anything else you can dream up, just as long as some version of water plays a part or operates as a catalyst to the story in a fairy tale, folktale, or myth. Work can either be re-tellings of established stories or use original characters as long as they are set within the fairy tale, folktale, or mythic templates.
WE ARE NOT LOOKING FOR “selkie” stories, (we already have one for the issue) or re-tellings of “The Little Mermaid” tale, as EC has already published many versions of that story.
Be bold, traditional, lyrical, or experimental in your storytelling, and enchant us with your original stories set in a variety of locations around the world and time periods from ancient to modern. Examples of “water” stories previously published in EC.
The Kappa by Kelly Evans
The Pearl by Sabrina N. Balmick
Wishing Well by Sonni de Soto
What the Water Takes by Katherine Kendig
The Salt Pool by Angie Dickinson
Made for Their Hands by G.D. Watry
WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- STORIES between 700-2000 words with our sweet spot being around 1,200 words.
- PAYMENT FOR STORIES: $10.00 U.S. dollars only
- The upper limit 2,000 word count is FIRM. Stories over 2,000 words will not be considered.
- SEQUENTIAL ART/COMICS: 1 to 5 pages in length. PAYMENT FLAT RATE $10.00 U.S. dollars only.
- PAYMENT WILL BE MADE THROUGH PAYPAL ONLY.
- At the time of contract, authors will have the option of donating the token payment back to the magazine to help keep us running.
- Absolutely none of the following: Sci-fi, dystopian, erotica, high fantasy, excessive world building, time-travel, futuristic or space travel.
- We are NOT ACCEPTING POETRY for this issue.
- We’re accepting only previously unpublished work.
- Only one work per writer per submission period.
- Simultaneous submissions are fine.
BEFORE SUBMITTING READ THE TERMS BELOW
- Enchanted Conversation is buying first electronic rights with the possibility of using the work in a future print compilation. Authors will be informed if their work is chosen, and authors will always retain the right to decline being in the print compilation if they so choose.
- Authors also grant EC the nonexclusive right to archive their story on our website in perpetuity or until such time as we choose to remove it.
- EC reserves the right to edit accepted stories for clarity. In other words, EC will correct simple misspellings, typos, and occasionally break up a run-on sentence. If the issue is a matter of style or opinion, EC will contact you to discuss changes for your approval before it goes live.
- Once the story is published on the site, authors and artists are free to shop it elsewhere.
- Copyright will always remain with the author or artist.
- You are agreeing to these terms when you submit a story.
HOW TO SUBMIT
- Email all submissions to [email protected]
- Subject line of the email should be: JUNE ISSUE 2019 – your last name – title of your work. Example: JUNE ISSUE 2019 – Jones – “Story Title”
- A brief cover letter with the approximate word count of the story.
- Also provide a short (100 word max) author’s bio in third person and up to three links to the website or social media accounts that you would like to promote professionally if your story is chosen. These links are used to promote you as a writer via our website. We do not check out the accounts as part of the decision making process for the issue.
- Do not summarize your story in the cover letter.
- A PAYPAL ADDRESS must be included in the email. Without one, work will not be considered.
- Paste all submissions into the body of your email. ATTACHMENTS WILL NOT BE OPENED. We’re not kidding. Your email will be DELETED, UNREAD, if there is an attachment.
- Formatting for all stories: Single spacing. No indents on paragraphs. Double space between paragraphs. Use Arial as the font. Try to use American English word forms and punctuation.
- For comics: Insert images in the email in low-res jpeg format. 1-5 pages.
- You will get a confirmation email that your work has been received.
- No editorial feedback will be given on submissions.
- AUTHORS who were published in previous issues are asked to wait 6 months (from the date of their issue) before they submit again.
NOTIFICATION OF ACCEPTANCE
- Non-acceptance emails will not be sent out.
- The names of the authors whose works are chosen will be posted on the Enchanted Conversation website on MAY 28, 2019 for the June Issue.
Via: Enchanted Conversation.