- This event has passed.
Taking Submissions: Electric Spec February Issue 2019
Deadline: January 15th, 2019
Payment: $20 per story
Please don’t query us about your story submission. We don’t have the manpower to answer such queries. An editor will email you back as soon as possible with the decision about your story. This can take a few days, or, up to three months. We make every effort to get back to authors in a timely manner but we get a lot of submissions so sometimes it’s not possible.
A note on our editorial policy: before publication we may edit the story for length or readability. However, we always remain true to the spirit of the story.
Issues are published at the end of February, May, August, and November. We reserve the right to shift publication date slightly, as necessary.
We have reading periods for each issue, though we never close to submissions.
February closes January 15
May closes April 15
August closes July 15
November closes October 15
Please do not submit the same story more than once, and please submit only one story at a time.
We consider any story between 250 and 7000 words with speculative fiction elements. We prefer science fiction, fantasy, and the macabre, but we’re willing to push the limits of traditional forms of these genres.
We do not consider poetry, stories with over-the-top sex or violence, serials, novels, fan fiction, or non-fiction. We don’t accept multiple submissions; in other words, only submit one story at a time and wait for a response before submitting another. We accept simultaneous submissions as long as you let us know up front and tell us as soon as it’s accepted elsewhere. We do not publish reprints, including anything that has appeared on a website.
We pay $20 for each story we publish. We buy first-printing world exclusive rights for four months. Payment will be made shortly after publication using PayPal. We encourage our authors to establish a PayPal account if they don’t already have one.
We prefer to read submissions in traditional manuscript format. This means indented paragraphs instead of left justification, and Courier or Times New Roman font in 12 pt, double-spaced. Also, please include the title, your name, address, and word length on the first page of your story.
To submit your story to Electric Spec, e-mail it as an attachment in Rich Text Format (RTF) to submissions at electricspec (dot) com. Use the following subject line: SUBMISSION:Story Title by Author’s Name (Word Count). In the body of the e-mail, include writing credits, if any, and the word count of the story. With the proliferation of viruses on the Internet, we do not open attachments unaccompanied by a cover letter.
Because we are a quarterly magazine, it may take us up to three and a half months to make a final decision, but we will let you know if your story is being held for voting. Please note we do not send out messages upon receipt of stories.
If you want to withdraw a story from consideration, please e-mail us at submissions at electricspec (dot) com and include the word WITHDRAW in the subject line. If you have questions or comments, please e-mail us at our submissions address and include the word QUERY in the subject line.
At Electric Spec, we encourage authors to do their market research before submitting work. Electric Spec stands out from other markets because:
- We pay for stories and artwork.
- We don’t have slush readers. At least one of our editors looks at every story that comes in.
- We’ve been around for over eleven years – and we’ve never missed an issue, deadline, or author payment.
- We actually edit the stories we publish. Our experienced editors work with authors to make their stories the best they can possibly be. Many magazines out there don’t do that – and it shows.
- While we do not acknowledge story receipt, we have a quick turn-around time regarding publication. We do not hold any stories longer than 135 days without contact. If you haven’t received an email with a ‘reject,’ ‘accept,’ or ‘hold-for-voting’ message something may have gone awry ==> you should resubmit.
- We love authors because we’re authors, too. All of the editors are published speculative fiction authors.
Via: Electric Spec.
- Taking Submissions: AE Micro: Stars - December 12, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Corvid Queen - December 12, 2019
- Ongoing Submissions: Blood Orange - December 11, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Slay - December 10, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Silk & Steel: An Adventure Anthology of Queer Ladies - December 10, 2019
- Ten Tales of a Dark Tomorrow Blog Tour: Kevin Kuhn on Writing Short Stories - December 10, 2019
- MasterClass Presents… David Sedaris Teaches Storytelling and Humor - December 9, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Triangulation: Extinction - December 9, 2019
- 10 Awesome Christmas Gifts For Authors – 2019 Edition - December 6, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Well Said, O Sheriff - December 6, 2019