- This event has passed.
Taking Submissions: Dark Mocha Bites: Death’s Café
August 31, 2014
Deadline: August 31, 2014
Payment: 40% royalty off the NET payment from all third party vendors for each copy sold will be paid quarterly via Paypal only.
Mocha Memoirs Press is pleased to announce that we are accepting horror stories for our Dark Mocha Bites: Death’s Café series.
Please read all of the information provided.
What We Want
This series focuses on horror stories. As with most stories, we are not afraid of genre mash-up, but the overall feel of the story must be horrific and fit the theme of Death’s Café. We want beautiful prose and originality wrapped up in the darkest, creepiest story you’ve ever conceived.
What We Don’t Want
We don’t want slasher horror or splatterpunk for this collection. We will reject any stories that contain rape, or the abuse of minors. Stories featuring well-worn tropes (vampires, zombies, werewolves) will be an extremely hard sell. Violence is fine, but gratuitous gore isn’t. We love sex if it’s integral to the plot, but we don’t want a adult content-film script. Other than that, use your imagination to make us cringe and tremble.
- We prefer to see submissions using something approaching Standard Manuscript Format, which can be found here: http://www.shunn.net/format/story.htmlThe only exception is that italics MUST appear as they will be used—no underlining.
- We will accept works of 8,500 – 20,000 words. Please query if you wish to submit outside of these guidelines.
- To submit your work for this line, send a cover letter/email, completed story and synopsis/marketing history along with your name, pen name (if using one), story title with word count, address, website or blog, and any professional publication credits you think might interest us to:
- mmphorror (at) gmail (dot) com with Submission: story title_last name in the subject line. Remove the spaces, use the @ symbol in place of (at), and use a period in place of (dot). Attach your story as a .DOC or .DOCX file. Submissions sent in the body of the email will not be read.No simultaneous submissions.
- Multiple submissions are okay, but please send them in separate emails.
- Reprints-We are not accepting reprints.
- Payment- 40% royalty off the NET payment from all third party vendors for each copy sold will be paid quarterly via Paypal only.RightsWe are seeking First Worldwide English Language rights for 24 months in print and digital formats.
Authors from outside of the United States
We welcome you and accept American or British English spelling. Please be aware that at this time, we have a largely American readership. Feel free to help us change that.
Submission Deadline and Publication Schedule
We will remain open for submissions from August 1, 2014 –August 31, 2014 with an expectation that the stories will be published by October 1.
Via: Mocha Memoirs Press.
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
Stuart Conover is a father, husband, published author, blogger, geek, entrepreneur, horror fanatic, and runs a few websites including Horror Tree!