- This event has passed.
Taking Submissions: Compelling Science Fiction
Deadline: December 1st, 2018
Payment: 6 cents/word (1 cent/word for reprints)
Note: Reprints Welcome
At Compelling Science Fiction, we have two main goals: to find, publish, and promote the best science fiction stories, and to support and encourage the authors who write them. We currently pay 6 cents/word for accepted stories (we are considered a SFWA Qualifying Market).
- Pay rate: 6 cents/word (1 cent/word for reprints)
- Length: 1,000-10,000 words per work
- Rights: We purchase first world electronic print rights and audio rights (for podcasts). Our contract follows the lead of SFWA’s Model Magazine Contract.
- Submission window: submissions are open from Oct 1 to Dec 1.
The stories we accept almost always:
- illustrate at least one interesting concept,
- are engaging, and
- clearly explain the science/technology in the story.
The ‘concept’ referenced in point (1) can be anything from new engineering ideas to novel social constructs to abstractions that help illustrate basic properties of reality. Point (2) is far more subjective, although as long as your story consistently moves forward it will probably be engaging. Point (3) is hard to attain without some knowledge of basic science/engineering; we encourage you to learn as much as you can about your subject matter. If your story is very strong in one of the above areas, we will sometimes accept weakness in the other two. Ultimately we are looking for science fiction that is entertaining, scientifically plausible, self-consistent, and technically detailed when appropriate. We have a preference for positive stories, to act as a counterweight to the currently popular post-apocalyptic genre. We certainly won’t dismiss a well-written dystopian future, but we have a bias toward stories that depict technological advancement rather than decay. We do not publish fantasy stories (although we enjoy them!). For more information about what we look for, please reference my plausible science fiction blog post.
Please submit stories via our submission form. The submission system accepts .docx files only. Please omit any identifying information from your story file (names, addresses, etc.).
- Trembling With Fear 12/16/2018 - December 16, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Contrary Spring 2019 Issue - December 14, 2018
- Video Refresh: The Waiting Game - December 14, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Great Weather For Media - December 13, 2018
- Ongoing Submissions: The Master’s Review - December 13, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Blood Bath Literary Zine Issue 2: DEMONS - December 12, 2018
- Taking Submissions: AGNI Online - December 12, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Penny Fiction 2019 - December 11, 2018
- Ongoing Submissions: Future Science Fiction Digest - December 11, 2018
- Taking Submissions: The Literary Hatchet - December 11, 2018