- This event has passed.
Taking Submissions: Brave New Girls
Deadline: January 15th, 2020
Payment: Contributor’s Copy
Submissions for our 2020 Brave New Girls anthology are now open! We’re looking for volunteer authors willing to contribute their stories pro bono to this charity venture (proceeds from sales of all our anthologies are donated to the Society of Women Engineers scholarship fund). We understand if this isn’t for everyone! We’re working on a shoestring budget (still stretching dollars from our initial crowdfunding campaign in 2014), with our editors donating their time and resources to keep this series going.
The deadline for submissions is January 15, 2020. The criteria are that stories must be:
- About a teen girl (14-18) with an interest in STEM (science, technology, engineering, or math)
- Geared toward a tween/teen audience (10-18)
- PG in content, as many of our readers are very young, and we want parents/guardians/family friends to be comfortable giving these books to the children in their lives. No graphic sex (“sweet” romance with kissing and hand holding and such is fine), no graphic violence (bloodless comic-book-movie-style violence is fine), no swearing (biblical curse words, i.e. “hell” or “damn”, and made-up sci-fi cursing, e.g. “frak” or “gorram”, are fine)
- In the sci-fi category. We’re open to any and all sub-genres (space opera, contemporary with speculative tech, historical with speculative tech, dystopia, cyberpunk, steampunk, solarpunk, dieselpunk, biopunk, silkpunk… all the punks)
- Between 2,500 and 10,000 words in length
- Standalone (no cliffhangers — our readers don’t seem to like them)
We strive to be as inclusive as possible and encourage authors and characters from the whole range of human backgrounds, across race, ethnicity, sexuality, gender identity, religion, national origin, ability, socioeconomic status, and more.
Stories can be related to an existing world that you have the rights to (e.g. a spinoff to your novel), but must work independently so a new reader can come in with no background about the world and still understand what’s going on.
Each story selected will be accompanied by an illustration, and each contributing author will receive a complimentary paperback of the anthology, which will be released July 2020.
Via: Brave New Girls.