- This event has passed.
Taking Submissions: The Best New True Crime Stories: Small Towns
Deadline: January 31st, 2020
Payment: $130 and 2 contributor’s copies
I’m seeking all-new true crime stories for THE BEST NEW TRUE CRIME STORIES: SMALL TOWNS (to be published by Mango Publishing Group USA)
Subject: True crime in small towns
What I’m looking for:
Well-developed thoughtful non-fiction content that offers readers more than dry reportage. Known, lesser known and obscure cases are welcome. Add something new to the discussion, a different viewpoint or angle. First-person accounts are especially welcome from writers with some connection to the crimes. Stories can take place anywhere in the world and during any time frame. Material must be meticulously fact-checked before submission, including dates, names, locations etc. No reprints accepted.
Word count: 4,000-7,000 words
One-time payment per story: USD $130, and 2 print copies of the book.
Contributor fees paid approximately 1 month after publication. (Preferred payment method: PayPal.)
For: Non-exclusive rights with one-year’s exclusivity from date of publication.
Deadline for submissions: Jan 31, 2020
Note that I’ll be selecting material on an on-going basis. Writers are strongly encouraged to submit their stories in advance of the deadline date.
Contact me with suggestions/queries at: TheBestNewTrueCrimeStories @ gmail.com
Format: double-spaced Arial 12-point Word document (sent as attachment). Do not indent paragraphs; instead enter one space between them. No irregular spacing between words or sentences. No footnotes or endnotes. If you wish to include a bibliography (optional), please use Chicago Manual of Style. American spelling and punctuation (i.e. double quote marks, etc.). Include your legal name, postal address, and an author bio of 50-100 words written in the third person. No simultaneous submissions please.
In the subject line of your email: True Crime submission.
If you don’t receive an acknowledgement within a week of submitting your material, definitely follow up!
(For non-US-based writers, editor is not responsible for payment of VAT, if applicable.)
Mitzi Szereto (mitziszereto.com) is an author and anthology editor whose books encompass true crime and crime fiction, gothic fiction, cozy mystery, satire, parody, horror, sci-fi/fantasy, paranormal romance, erotic fiction, and general fiction and non-fiction. Her new book The Best New True Crime Stories: Serial Killers will be published in November 2019. Follow her on Twitter @mitziszereto
Via: Mitzi Szereto.
- Ongoing Submissions: Cosmic Horror Monthly - February 20, 2020
- Taking Submissions: Corners of the World - February 20, 2020
- Taking Submissions: Disturbia - February 19, 2020
- Taking Submissions: Every Day Fiction – April 2020 Themes - February 19, 2020
- Taking Submissions: Historic Fantasy - February 18, 2020
- WIHM: Just Sit Down and Bleed: On Writing Female and Diverse Characters - February 18, 2020
- Taking Submissions: Worst Laid Plans: An Anthology of Vacation Horror - February 18, 2020
- Taking Submissions: Acethetic - February 17, 2020
- WIHM: Redefining the Horror Genre - February 17, 2020
- Taking Submissions: Gotta Wear Eclipse Glasses - February 17, 2020