- This event has passed.
Taking Submissions: Body Parts Magazine Issue #11: A is for Aliens, Apocalypse and Armageddon (Fall/Winter 2018)
Deadline: August 1st, 2018
Payment: $5 for flash fiction and $10 to $20 (depending on length) for short stories
Issue #11: A is for Aliens, Apocalypse and Armageddon (Fall/Winter 2018)
Alien abduction, human experimentation and assault by anal probe. Deadly deep space. Invasive artificial intelligence. Invaders from Mars, extraterrestrial beings and big-eyed, naked Greys. It’s the end the world as we know it, and we do not feel fine.
A note from the editors: we’re looking for boundary-trampling, genre-splicing stories here. Skip the standard brain-eaters and ho-hum zombies. Give us something different, something much, much worse. Submission deadline: 8/01/2018
We are not afraid.”
Body Parts Magazine is an online literary magazine of horror, erotica, speculative fiction, essays and art. Each themed issue honors Eros and Thanatos, the Greek gods of libido and mortido—life and death. We celebrate the vast and various expressions of dreams and darkness, our primitive desires and urges, and seek to encounter—and embrace—those shadowy monsters who dwell in the dimly lit corners of human experience.
Submissions for each issue are accepted through the last day of each reading period (if specified). You are welcome to submit material for any issue, simply indicate which issue you would like your work to be considered for.
Be advised: we generally begin reading submissions for a particular issue after the close of its submission deadline, so don’t panic if you haven’t heard back before then.
Body Parts accepts well-written, thoughtfully structured horror, erotic horror, speculative fiction, dark fantasy (including fairy tales and mythology), exceptional stories about ghosts, ghouls, monsters and wretched creatures, Gothic fiction, and all combinations of the above. Our boundaries are few and far between.
Before you submit, please note that:
We no longer accept reprints.
Emails with attachments and stories submitted after the deadline will be deleted unread.
Flash Fiction: 1,000 words or fewer.
Short Stories: up to 8,000 words.
Serialized or Longer Fiction: query us with total word count.
We accept your original artwork and photography reflective of an issue’s theme. Email a query with a link to your art online (web, Dropbox, Google album, etc.) Payment varies.
Essays & Interviews
We accept short essays and interviews (up to 1200 words) about topics that fit within our themes, people integral to the type of work published in Body Parts (writers, artists, photographers, etc.). Query first. We do not accept book/game/music reviews. Payment varies.
Body Parts is a paying market. We offer an honorarium of $5 for flash fiction and $10 to $20 (depending on length) for short stories and nonfiction to authors, and $5 to $20 for artwork and photography published in our journal.
We request exclusive rights as long as the issue in which your work appears is current. Once the subsequent issue has been published, you’re free to pursue reprint publication with other journals, anthologies, etc.
How to Submit
- Cut and paste your text and submit it within the body an email.
- In the subject line, include the word Submission, the issue number you’re submitting to, and the title of your piece. (Example: Issue #10 “A Horror Story”)
- Please include a publication-ready bio and your website/social media sites.
- If your piece is selected for publication, we’ll send you a “Congratulations” email and request your PayPal email address and an author photo. Response times can be lengthy so simultaneous submissions are welcome. Please email us to withdraw your work from consideration if it’s placed in another publication.
- Email submissions to: bodypartsmagazine (at) gmail (dot) com.
Via: Body Parts Magazine.
- Taking Submissions: The Irregular Adventures of Sherlock Holmes - September 19, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Detective Fantasy Anthology - September 19, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Thuggish Itch: Devilish - September 18, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Enchanted Conversation Magazine October 2018 Issue - September 17, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Tales From The Moonlit Path Halloween 2018 Issue - September 17, 2018
- Ongoing Submissions: The No Sleep Podcast - September 17, 2018
- Trembling With Fear 09/16/2018 - September 16, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Gravely Unusual #2 - September 14, 2018
- Video Refresh: Andy Graham Interview - September 14, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Colp: Suplex - September 13, 2018