- This event has passed.
Taking Submissions: Alternate History
July 11, 2022
Deadline: July 11th, 2022
Payments: 8 cents/6 pence per word for original stories, 6 cents/4 pence for reprints.
Theme: Alternate history stories (that can also show how a change in history would have changed today.)
Note: Reprints Welcome
We are very excited to announce a new call for submissions, which is now open! Please read through the details for submissions carefully before submitting your stories and make sure to include ALTERNATE HISTORY at the beginning in the subject of your email.
Alternate History Short Stories
This is a topic to really get your imagination into gear. Alternative history is a big topic for movies and real-world events alike, on Netflix, HBO and more. It’s all science fiction, and this new book aims to cover every angle from ancient worlds to distant futures, world wars, steampunk and more. What if the course of history had been changed by a different decision, a different victor, a different invention? Utopian stories and alternative history stories by H.G. Wells, Nathaniel Hawthorne, Castello Holford and others will be combined here with new stories submitted by you, exploring the variety and delight of alternative history to reimagine the world around us – some examples just to give you an idea: What if the Ancient Egyptians had conquered Rome? What if World War II had been won by the loser, not the victors? What if women had ruled the world for 4,000 years not men? The options are limitless for tales of true originality and with a vivid sense of realism…
Submissions to [email protected]
- Multiple submissions are fine.
- Simultaneous submissions are fine but you must have the right to license your story in an anthology.
- For accepted stories we pay Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America (SFWA) rates of 8 cents/6 pence per word for original stories, 6 cents/4 pence for reprints.
- We will aim to read each story and confirm its status within 4 months of the submission deadline.
- Payment for the chosen stories will be made within 30 days of the final advertised publication date (see our website flametreepublishing.com for details), although some may be paid earlier than that.
- Submission does not imply the right to publication. Each story will be read and assessed by the selection panel.
- Submit your story to [email protected]
- Word length is most likely to be successful at 2000-4000 words, but we will still read stories slightly outside this range
- Let us know in your submission email whether your story would be a reprint or is currently unpublished
- Please submit in .doc, .docx or .rtf formats, double spaced, with your name and email address in the footer or header of each page
- If submitting a story that has recently been submitted to us for consideration to another anthology, please state this in the submission email
- Deadline for submissions is 11th July 2022
The Flame Tree Gothic Fantasy, Classic Stories and Epic Tales collections bring together the entire range of myth, folklore and modern short fiction. Highlighting the roots of suspense, supernatural, science fiction and mystery stories, the books in the Flame Tree Collections series are beautifully presented, highly collectable and offer a lifetime of reading pleasure.
Thank you, and good luck!
Via: Flame Tree Publishing.
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
Stuart Conover is a father, husband, published author, blogger, geek, entrepreneur, horror fanatic, and runs a few websites including Horror Tree!