- This event has passed.
Taking Submissions: A Midas Clutch: Tales of Opulent Horror
December 31, 2017
Deadline: December 31st, 2017
Payment: 5 cents a word, 2 cents a word if a reprint.
Note: Reprints Allowed
edited by Steve Berman
Avarice and a fealty to Mammon are elements of this forthcoming anthology slated for January of 2018. Lethe is seeking weird and eerie stories of people consumed by wealth. Each tale must be suffused with the trappings of the well-to-do. Decadence should be paramount. However, we do not want these tales to be moralistic; we’re celebrating those who can buy the finest things in life…they just happen to be the leads in a horror story. The better stories will incorporate status and wealth as both character traits and elements of the plot. For an excellent example, we recommend “Dirty American” by Lara Elena Donnelly or “His Mouth Will Taste of Wormwood” by Poppy Z. Brite. Our preference is for stories that are contemporary but we are willing to read and purchase a few historical tales. No vampire or zombie tales.
Stories should be from 4,000 to 14,000 in length. Original fiction is more important to us, but we will make an offer on exceptional reprints. Payment for reprints is 2 cents per word. Payment for original fiction is 5 cents a word. All payment is upon publication in Summer of 2018. We’ll be doing a lovely, off-set, hardback edition of this book, perhaps a trade paperback, digital and audiobook versions.
Deadline is January of 2018. Please submit to Steve Berman at lethepress @aol.com with the Subject line of Midas Clutch Submission. Include an embedded copy letter with biographical details, if the story is original, and some sense of prior publications (if any).
Basic Submission Guidelines
- We seek manuscripts that are a minimum of 45,000 words but no more than 135,000 words (and we are very, very selective on submissions more than 100,000 words).
- We are primarily interested in queer speculative fiction. That is our specialty. We are willing to read and consider other genres (however, we have more resources to apply to such titles).
- Currently we are only interested in reading poetry manuscripts for our Tincture imprint.
- When submitting, please email to Steve Berman (at [email protected]) a synopsis of your ms. and the first three chapters as a RTF file or MS Word document. Please include a cover letter (you may list previous publications) and give us a sense why you have chosen to submit to Lethe Press.
- Obviously we will not consider any title that has a negative perspective of LGBT individuals.
- Please allow us 120 days to respond to your query; we do not consider simultaneous submissions.
Via: Lethe Press Books.
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
Stuart Conover is a father, husband, published author, blogger, geek, entrepreneur, horror fanatic, and runs a few websites including Horror Tree!