- This event has passed.
Interstellar Flight Press Is Open To BIPOC Novellas
June 30, 2021
Deadline: June 30th, 2021
Payment: Royalties, potentially an advance
Theme: Speculative genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy, Horror, Supernatural, Weird, Mystery/Thrillers or any combination of the above. Hybrids or difficult to categorize novellas are welcome.
Note: Authors must be BIPOC (black, indigenous, people of color)
Interstellar Flight Press will open to novella submissions from BIPOC (black, indigenous, people of color) authors starting 2/15/21 through 6/30/21.
Our Guest Editor for this call is Premee Mohamed. Premee Mohamed is an Indo-Caribbean scientist and speculative fiction author based in Edmonton, Alberta. She is a Social Media Manager and Associate Editor for the short audio science fiction venue Escape Pod, and was a Capital City Press Featured Writer for 2019/2020 with the Edmonton Public Library. Her short fiction has appeared in both print and audio in a variety of venues, including Analog, Escape Pod, Augur, Nightmare Magazine, Shoreline of Infinity, and PodCastle. Solicited anthology and other project appearances include Drabblecast, A Secret Guide to Fighting Elder Gods, Jo Walton’s New Decameron, and others. In 2017 she was nominated for the Pushcart Prize for her story “Willing” (Third Flatiron Press). Her debut novel, Beneath the Rising, is out now from Solaris Books, with the sequel A Broken Darkness due out in 2021. Her novellas being published in 2021 include These Lifeless Things (Solaris Books), And What Can We Offer You Tonight (Neon Hemlock), and The Annual Migration of Clouds (ECW Press). In her spare time, she also paints and occasionally does pen and ink illustration. She can be found on Twitter and Instagram at @premeesaurus and on her website at www.premeemohamed.com.
We are looking for:
- Fiction Novellas 17,500–40,000 words. (Submissions within 5,000 words of this range are okay, but we may ask you to edit the work to fit this word range if it is accepted.)
- Speculative genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy, Horror, Supernatural, Weird, Mystery/Thrillers or any combination of the above. Hybrids or difficult to categorize novellas are welcome.
- Young Adult novellas are okay if they are speculative in some way.
- We will consider both standalone novellas and series (Please submit the first book in a series only).
- By BIPOC (black, indigenous, people of color.) This definition is globally inclusive (people of color from anywhere in the world are welcome to submit) and applies to mixed/biracial authors.
- Please send complete manuscripts (your entire novella) in .doc or .docx formats, formatted in Standard Manuscript Format with no identifying information in the document. This means:
- 12-point font.
- Times New Roman, Courier, or similar font.
- Double spaced.
- Numbered pages.
- Your name should not appear anywhere in the manuscript or in the title of the document. If your name appears in the manuscript, we will remove it before sending it to our readers.
- Please include a synopsis on the first page of your manuscript, max 500 words.
- We require a cover letter with bio and any previous publications. Be sure to include links to your website and social media so we can get to know you. The cover letter should be in the submission form, not in the manuscript document.
- Simultaneous and multiple submissions are fine, just let us know if you need to withdraw. Novellas should be previously unpublished. If your work has appeared in another language and you hold English rights, please feel free to submit the work in English, however, you must hold First World English rights.
- Agented submissions are welcome. If you are an agent, please send us an email or submit via the submission form.
- We are keen to publish new authors as well as to hear from more established authors. As always, we love hearing from authors from underrepresented backgrounds and marginalized communities.
All of our books receive a full marketing plan and are printed in paperback formats, as well as distribution as eBook and audiobook. We consider publishing a collaboration and pay 40% of all Publisher’s Net Receipts to the author as royalties. Depending on the project, we may also offer an advance. We ask for exclusive First World English rights, audiobook rights, and some subsidiary rights. We believe in transparency. If you would like to see a sample of our contract, please email us at contact (at) interstellarflightpress (dot) com. Similarly, if you have questions about our guidelines or have accessibility needs, please email us. We are always looking for new slush readers, if you’d like to read for us, send us an email.
We aim to get a response to authors within 90 days. If you haven’t heard from us in 90 days, please send a query. If we decide to hold your submission for review, you will receive a notification via email, and this may mean a longer response time, as we will hold selected novellas until after the submission call ends, at which point our Guest Editor will review them.
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
Stuart Conover is a father, husband, published author, blogger, geek, entrepreneur, horror fanatic, and runs a few websites including Horror Tree!