Deadline: August 15th, 2017
Payment: Contributor’s Copy and .003 cents per word (minimum of $5, see official website for details.)
Note: Reprints Accepted
The first anthology of Gehenna & Hinnom will be published in late-September of 2017. It will feature only the most disturbing and horrifying body horror tales readers have ever read.
The challenge is up to you, the authors. How strange is your narrative capable of being? How morose is your prose? How in touch are you with the macabre?
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR:
We are seeking stories for this anthology that are of a Cronenberg-style theme. If you don’t know who David Cronenberg is, we suggest watching clips or the entire length of films such as Videodrome, The Fly, and Scanners.
Genres can meld together. Science fiction, horror, weird fiction, cosmic horror, fantasy, all of these are acceptable as long as the stories don’t deviate from the body horror nature of the anthology.
As defined by Wikipedia,
BODY HORROR, BIOLOGICAL HORROR, ORGANIC HORROR OR VISCERAL HORROR IS HORROR FICTION IN WHICH THE HORROR IS PRINCIPALLY DERIVED FROM THE GRAPHIC DESTRUCTION OR DEGENERATION OF THE BODY. SUCH WORKS MAY DEAL WITH DECAY, DISEASE, PARASITISM, MUTATION, OR MUTILATION.
WHAT WE’RE NOT LOOKING FOR:
Absolutely no erotica. This is non-negotiable. Nothing political, unless it is satire. Uses of rape, necrophilia, bestiality, etc., are allowed though be very careful with these themes. If it is not integral to the plot, or if it is clearly gratuitous, your story will be rejected. We want to provide a certain amount of quality for our readers. This is an adult-aged anthology, but please be professional and technical with your writing.
Stories that are not proofread and have mistakes that would be avoidable with a single read-through WILL be rejected.
DEADLINE: AUGUST 15TH, 2017
PAYMENT: UNFORTUNATELY, WE ARE UNABLE TO PAY OUR AUTHORS AT THIS TIME SINCE WE ARE A NEW, EVOLVING COMPANY. HOWEVER, A COMPLIMENTARY COPY OF THE FINISHED WORK WILL BE YOURS, FOR FREE. PUBLICITY AND ARTICLES BASED ON EACH AUTHOR WILL ALSO BE PUBLISHED FOR OUR READERS, HELPING YOU FURTHER DEVELOP YOUR PRESENCE AS A VOICE IN HORROR LITERATURE.
Minimum Words: 250 (Flash Fiction)
Maximum Words: 8000 (Short Fiction)
Short stories can be solicited AND unsolicited, though indie authors will be given higher priority as we hope to launch many unknown authors into the world.
Multiple Submissions: Accepted. Do not exceed 3 for each anthology.
Simultaneous Submissions: Generally, no. It depends on how good the story is. Please send a query concerning this if you plan on submitting to other publishers after or before you submit to us.
What to send:
- Title Your Email as: Submission — Body Horror — Story Title
- Author Name
- Title of Work
- A Short Description of the Work (2-3 Sentences)
- A Short Author Bio
- Attach the Entire Manuscript in either a .doc, .docx, or .rtf file. DO NOT PUT STORY IN BODY OF EMAIL (This is for Editing Purposes)
- Format the Manuscript in Standard Manuscript Format. Reference here: Shunn’s Standard. STORY WILL BE REJECTED IF IT DOESN’T FOLLOW THESE GUIDELINES.
- Send All Submissions to gehennapublishinghouse (at) gmail (dot) com.
RESPONSE TIME: We will try to respond within 2-3 weeks (usually sooner) in regards to our decisions of the stories you submit. We understand that when a story is rejected, the normal immediate reaction is to submit elsewhere because time is very valuable. Because of this, we will do our best to get back to you as soon as possible.
RIGHTS: Exclusive global English first print and digital rights for one year, and nonexclusive print and digital rights for term of copyright. All other rights are reserved to the author.
REPRINTS: We will accept reprints as long as you, the author, or agent, hold the rights to the work.
Via: Gehenna and Hinnom.
- Taking Submissions ‘Pirates & Ghosts’ And ‘Agents & Spies’ - June 26, 2017
- Trembling With Fear 06/25/2017 - June 25, 2017
- Taking Submissions: Trouble The Waters: Tales from the Deep Blue - June 23, 2017
- Taking Submissions: Afrofuturism - June 22, 2017
- Taking Submissions: Whispers of the Apoc - June 21, 2017
- Taking Submissions: Beautiful Lies, Painful Truths - June 20, 2017
- Taking Submissions: Sherlock Holmes: Adventures in the Realms of H.G. Wells - June 19, 2017
- Trembling With Fear 06/18/2017 - June 18, 2017
- Taking Submissions: Hidden Animals: A Collection of Cryptids - June 16, 2017
- Taking Submissions: Fire: Demons, Dragons and Djinns - June 15, 2017