Taking Submissions: Retro Future Issue #4
Deadline: September 1st, 2017
Payment: Unlisted but “will always meet or exceed SFWA minimum compensation guidelines”
Retro Future is a quarterly pulp magazine that searches for diverse, surprising, and progressive science fiction in art, prose, essay, and comics.
Issue Submission Themes
Issue #4: Resistance to oppression.
We welcome submissions of art and writing that approaches retrofuturism through a progressive lens. Essays and flash fiction of approximately 250-500 words is especially welcome; longer works may be serialized.
Comic submissions should be 1-8 pages of finished work. Anything longer may get serialized across multiple issues. Please note that inside art should be in grayscale (please refer to art and comic templates for details.)
Galileo Books acquires first serial rights; upon publication, these rights revert back to you, the author. We ask that you acknowledge Retro Future (Galileo Books) as the venue of original publication when the work appears in your book or is otherwise collected.
If a work becomes unavailable while under our review, please contact us via email. Submitted work for specific issues may be considered for other issues if themes fit. Please include your name and contact information (at least an email) at the top of your submission.
Art and comic templates are located here. Please make sure that art finals are high resolution (at least 300 DPI), in the RGB or Grayscale color space, and native Photoshop or TIFF files. No JPG or GIF.
(Dropbox will ask you to join, you can ignore that and click the ‘continue to download’ link)
Written material should be attached to the email in TXT, RTF or Word formats.
Retro Future is a progressive publication. Subjects such as sexual violence, un-examined racism, and other potentially offensive material are often used as fodder for exposition in genre stories–this is not appropriate for inclusion in Retro Future.
We are looking for forward-looking and optimistic science and science-fiction. Sensitive topics can be part of a good story, but a vision of a future better than our present is the focus of Retro Future. Keep this in mind when submitting.
In the subject, please format as follows for artwork:
Full Name, artrf, Your Project Title
In the subject, please format as follows for writing:
Full Name, litrf, Your Project Title
This will help our filters organize better! You can expect a response up to a month after the deadline date.
We will always meet or exceed SFWA minimum compensation guidelines.
Via: Galileo Games.
- Ongoing Submissions: Inwood Indiana - August 17, 2017
- Taking Submissions: Reckoning #2 - August 16, 2017
- Taking Submissions: Real American Horror - August 15, 2017
- Taking Submissions: If It Bleeds, It Leads! - August 14, 2017
- ‘Screams The Machine’ Blog Tour: Sam Mortimer On “Does Originality Exist?” - August 14, 2017
- Trembling With Fear 08/13/2017 - August 13, 2017
- Ongoing Submissions: Black Dandy - August 11, 2017
- Taking Submissions: The First Line – Winter 2017 - August 9, 2017
- Taking Submissions: The Fantasist - August 8, 2017
- Taking Submissions: Fantastic Trains: An anthology of Phantasmagorical Engines and Rail Riders - August 7, 2017