- This event has passed.
Taking Submissions: Uncanny & Unearthly Tales (Vol 2) – The Midnight Labyrinth
December 31, 2023
Deadline: December 31st, 2023
Payment: 5 cents per word
Theme: A tale delivered from a character who stepped through a door and found themselves someplace unexpected. On their journey, they will notice a book called Midnight Labyrinth. No requirement to read or interact with it; it just needs to appear. Genre-bending is welcome! Sci-fi, steampunk, horror, fantasy, etc.
Grendel Press accepts short story submissions that fit into our chosen genres of Dark Fantasy, Horror, and Romance.
We will develop themes for each genre as submissions accumulate.
Unpublished short stories must be 2,500-7,000 words and if approved, will be featured in our anthologies consisting of approximately ~65,000 words each. Approved stories will be published in English ebook, and print with a possibility for audiobook. If approved, you will be notified when the anthology has received the perfect combination of stories to publish, and it’s expected publication date.
Uncanny & Unearthly Tales (Vol 2) – The Midnight Labyrinth
Submission Period: August 1st, 2023 – December 31st, 2023 (Midnight CST)
Each story should feature a tale delivered from a character who stepped through a door and found themselves someplace unexpected.
On their journey, they will notice a book called Midnight Labyrinth. No requirement to read or interact with it; it just needs to appear.
Genre-bending is welcome! Sci-fi, steampunk, horror, fantasy, etc.
We pay .05 per word in exchange for rights to publish your original stories in a seasonal anthology. No reprints, these stories must be unpublished elsewhere. We may be running multiple themed anthologies at a time, so feel free to submit one story per theme only.
Exclusivity Terms & Author Rights
What We Want
- Unpublished short stories with 2,500-7,000 words (we will consider stories that are slightly outside the word count range)
- We go for stories that are dark and deep; we are looking for the stories that stick with you long after you go to sleep.
- Stories with a depth of character that explore the mind as much as the monsters.
- Stories that show more than tell and build suspense before shock factor.
- Easily readable. It’s wonderful to craft a gorgeous story, but if people need a dictionary to understand it, we cannot accept it.
What We Do Not Want
- Stories published elsewhere
- Shorts without properly formatted dialogue or containing too many spelling and grammar errors. These stories may be returned to you with a request to clean them up and resubmit.
- Stories that are not Dark Fantasy, Horror, or Dark Romance
- Fan fiction or anything that may cause copyright issues.
- Sex is fine, but plot should come first.
- Stories that include intolerance of a person or group’s race, religion, nationality, physical or mental ability, gender identity, or sexual orientation.
- Gratuitous gore and violence with no purpose – blood and guts are fine as long as there’s something more going on than the shock factor.
- Stories that glorify, minimize, or inaccurately represent child abuse, animal abuse, or sexual assault.
Deadline & Schedule
Our deadlines are posted above. We will notify of your acceptance or denial via the email you provide in your submission. You have a chance at that time to consider our agreements and specify your method of payment.
Please check our website for general anthology updates.
We do our best to get rejection letters out to everyone, but we also provide weekly updates on the status of our anthologies in our newsletter and on all of our social medias.
Please take an active interest in staying up to date on your submitted anthology.
To qualify your submission to us, your story must not have been published elsewhere. You MAY simultaneously submit your work elsewhere.
However, if it is accepted, please notify us of your withdrawal via email at [email protected] as soon as possible.
You may submit multiple stories that fit our themes! You may submit two different stories, but only one may be accepted per anthology.
- The manuscript must be understandable by a mixed audience. Any English is fine as long as the average Joe can understand all of the references and it follows basic grammar rules.
- 12 pt. Times New Roman font, normal margins, and double spaced
- Do not use any special formatting like headers, page numbers, images, and page/section breaks
- Include your author’s name, title, and word count on the first page
- Indicate scene breaks with three stars, no space (***)
- Indicate the end of the manuscript with three stars, with spaces in between (* * *)
- Submission must be in Microsoft Word (.doc, .docx)
- Save the file name in this format: Title of Story_Author’s Full Name
- If you use a penname, place it in the document with the word count and title, but please include your full legal name in the form submission box for payment purposes.
Send your Submissions
Please try our submission form first or if there is a problem with the form, [email protected]
Do not use the submission email as an excuse to ignore submission requirements. Our forms get first priority as they are built into our workflow. Submitting your work via email and ignoring the advice below will not result in instant communication. If anything, it makes your entry difficult to track. That said, if you must submit via email, please observe our etiquette below.
Submission Email Etiquette
Email Subject: Anthology – Story Title – Genre – Word Count
Suggested Content: Story Blurb (2-3 sentences), Triggers & Tropes, Author Bio, your manuscript.
- Do not submit AI generated babble.
- Do not submit 2-3 pages of your previously published works. We do not base acceptance on your popularity.
- Do not submit poetry or works that clearly do not fit our themes or requirements.
We now have a Discord Community, for those that want to be involved and share ideas with fellow authors.
Via: Grendel Press.
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
Stuart Conover is a father, husband, published author, blogger, geek, entrepreneur, horror fanatic, and runs a few websites including Horror Tree!