- This event has passed.
Taking Submissions: The Marshall
September 15, 2019
September 15th, 2019
Payment: Contributor’s Copy
A Collection of tales of how he got his man.
Zimbell House is holding open submissions for short stories about the old west and how the U.S. Marshall played a part in establishing the law of the land.
Let your imagination roam and put our readers in the middle of the action. We want complete stories from the POV of the U.S. Marshall. We want to see his struggles to capture the outlaw. How does he do it? Who helps him? Why did he become a lawman? Is there a case that haunts him? Make him a complete character, flaws and all.
- Please keep foul language to a minimum-it loses its punch if over-used.
- Dialogue needs to be believable, and please keep dialects/slang to a bare minimum if you must use them.
- No head-hopping or POV changes. Pick one point of view and stick with it.
- Please show more of the action than just telling the reader what happens.
Submissions of both short stories and novellas to this anthology are welcome, please keep in mind the minimum word count is 4,000 and the maximum word count is 20,000.
This anthology is a great opportunity to showcase emerging writers and allow them to build their professional platforms.
Submission Deadline: September 15, 2019, with a targeted release date of mid-November 2019.
Submit your best work. Poorly formatted and unedited work will be turned down. Please use Americanized English spellings. We will be doing light editing as necessary to fit the standards we strive to maintain.
- Any work under 4,000 words will be automatically disqualified for this anthology.
- The work must not have appeared in print or online anywhere before.
- All submissions must be in English.
- Each author may submit up to three (3) unique works—please submit them separately.
- Work must be in Microsoft Word or RTF, double-spaced, 12-point font-no headers/footers.
All contributing authors will receive a free copy of the book in softcover. Authors that are chosen for the anthology will not be paid nor receive royalties for their submission. This is an opportunity to build your platform.
Submission Deadline: September 15, 2019.