Taking Submissions: The Debt Collector
Deadline: October 31st, 2020
Payment: Contributor’s copy
Theme: The afterlife’s bodyguard
A Sinister Collection of Short Stories
Zimbell House is holding open submissions for short stories from the point of view of the afterlife’s bounty hunter.
Your story must include: which side the debt collector works for, what the debt to be collected is, the consequences at stake, how the afterlife system works, and most importantly, be from the point of view of the debt collector. Does he/she love or hate his/her job? Is he/she up for a promotion, due for a vacation? What’s in it for the collector-is it just a job or something more sinister?
- Please keep foul language to a minimum-it loses its punch if over-used.
- Dialogue needs to be believable, and please keep dialects/slang to a bare minimum if you must use them.
- No head-hopping or POV changes. Pick one point of view and stick with it.
- Please show more of the action than just telling the reader what happens.
Submissions of both short stories and novellas to this anthology are welcome, please keep in mind the minimum word count is 4,500 and the maximum word count is 19,500.
This anthology is a great opportunity to showcase emerging writers and allow them to build their professional platforms.
Submission Deadline: October 31, 2020, with a targeted release date of early January 2021.
Submit your best work. Poorly formatted and unedited work will be turned down. Please use Americanized English spellings. We will be doing light editing as necessary to fit the standards we strive to maintain.
- Any work under 4,500 words will be automatically disqualified for this anthology.
- The work must not have appeared in print or online anywhere before.
- All submissions must be in English.
- Each author may submit up to three (3) unique works—please submit them separately.
- Work must be in Microsoft Word or RTF, double-spaced, 12-point font-no headers/footers.
All contributing authors will receive a free copy of the book in softcover. Authors that are chosen for the anthology will not be paid nor receive royalties for their submission. This is an opportunity to build your platform.
Submission Deadline: October 31, 2020.
Via: Zimbell House Publishing.