- This event has passed.
Taking Submissions: ROAR 9
Deadline: February 1st, 2018
Payment: 1/2 cent per word and one contributor’s copy.
We’re looking for excellent general audience furry stories on the theme “RESISTANCE.” If you have an excellent story, but you’re not sure it fits the theme, give it a try. We can be generous in how we interpret “resistance,” but all stories must be furry. That means an anthropomorphic animal figure should be significantly featured in your story — it could be anthropomorphic in body or only intelligence. We’ll consider any type of furry fiction from secret life of animals to fox in Starbucks — as long as it’s excellent. Though, the editor does have a preference for stories where the animal nature of the characters matters — if the reader can’t even remember the species of the characters by the end of the story, then that’s not a good sign.
We are interested in underrepresented voices. If you have personal experience relevant to your story, feel free to mention it in your cover letter. For instance, if your story is about a space unicorn and you are a space unicorn (or a research biologist who studies space unicorns), let us know. We are not interested in stories that involve rape in any way.
Please send submissions as an attached .doc, .docx, or .rtf file in Standard Manuscript Format to ROARanthology(at)gmail.com with a subject line that reads: SUBMISSION: “Story Title” – word count. (For an example of Standard Manuscript Format, see this essay by William Shunn. For help with writing a cover letter, check out this excellent advice from Strange Horizons.)
- Length — Between 2,000 and 18,000 words. Query if longer or shorter. We tend to prefer stories between 4,000 and 12,000 words.
- Multiple submissions — Keep it reasonable; two or three stories at a time is probably okay; ten isn’t.
- Reprints — Yes, but include information about where the story was previously published. We’re more interested in stories that will be new to the majority of our audience.
- Simultaneous submissions — No. If you send a story to us, please don’t send it anywhere else until you hear back from us.
- Response time — Most final decisions won’t be made until after the deadline, but all stories should receive a response by March 1st.
- Payment — 1/2 cent per word and one contributor’s copy.*
- Deadline — February 1st, 2018
- Expected release date — July, 2018
Via: Mary Lowd.
- Taking Submissions: Silver Needle Press Fall 2018 Journal - April 24, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Deductions, Delinquents, And Detectives - April 23, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Sword & Sorceress 33 - April 23, 2018
- 5 Ongoing Spots To Submit Children’s Short Stories! - April 23, 2018
- Trembling With Fear 04/22/2018 - April 22, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Dread: A Furry Horror Mag - April 20, 2018
- Guest Post: Writing Horror - April 20, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Slice #24: Time - April 19, 2018
- Eraserhead Press & Deadite Press Are Open To Novels And Novellas - April 19, 2018
- Taking Submissions: The Working Zealot’s Guide to Gaining Capital in Pre-Apocalyptic America - April 18, 2018