Variously described as a fiend, a monster, a charming seductress who was felled by the righteous might of Perseus, son of Zeus, Medusa is perhaps the most misunderstood of mythological women. Described by male historians and epic writers such as Virgil and Ovid there are many aspects of her imagined life which find resonance in the struggles of the outsider, the cursed and those used in the service of another’s vision of the world around them. This fascinating collection brings together new stories and ancient origins, offering a wider perspective on the whole life of the powerful, wonderful Medusa. Stories submitted for consideration need to explore new angles to the character: have her follow alternative paths, present different viewpoints, counter the patriarchal narrative and male gaze, or perhaps pursue story lines that are hinted at in the original tales.
Submissions to: [email protected]
- Multiple submissions are fine but must be in separate emails.
- Simultaneous submissions are fine but you must have the right to license your story in an anthology.
- For accepted stories we pay Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America (SFWA) rates of 8 cents/6 pence per word for original stories, 6 cents/4 pence for reprints.
- We will aim to read each story and confirm its status within 4 months of the submission deadline.
- Payment for the chosen stories will be made within 30 days of the final advertised publication date (see our website flametreepublishing.com for details), although some may be paid earlier than that.
- Submission does not imply the right to publication. Each story will be read and assessed by the selection panel.
- Let us know in your submission email whether your story would be a reprint or is currently unpublished.
Important Notice about Submissions and Guidelines
We’re always looking for better ways of working so we’ve tweaked our submission process to allow us to read more stories, and spend more time assessing the balance of our books. So follow these rules to avoid your story getting lost in our system!
- Submissions must use the dedicated email address.
- The subject line of the email must be the story title.
- The file with the story must be attached to the email (.docx, .doc or .rtf format).
- The name of the file must match the name in the subject line.
- If submitting more than one story, please submit one story per email.
Other useful tips for a more successful submission:
- The file name of the submission must be the story name only.
- Please just use spaces between words in the title (not _ or – ).
- If the story name starts with A or The, please use it at the beginning of the file name.
- If you’d like to add some details about the story, confirm if it’s new or a reprint, or add a short bio of yourself, please add to the body of the email not as an attachment.
- Story length is most likely to be successful at 3,000–4,000 words, but we will still read stories slightly outside this range.
- If submitting a story that has recently been submitted to us for consideration to another anthology, please state this in the submission email.
- Deadline for submissions is Sunday 7th January 2024
Thank you, and good luck!