Taking Submissions: Mother: Tales of Love and Terror
Submission Window: April 15th – May 15th 2022 UPDATE: New deadline is June 1st, 2022
Payment: 5 cents per word
Weird Little Worlds Press is looking for contributors to its second Kickstarter science fiction, fantasy, and horror anthology. Bring your weird and help us tell the scariest and most interesting mother stories you’ve ever imagined.
.05 per word
.50 per line
Apr. 15 – May 15, 2022
There is no one with more power and control over the fate of the world than a mother. Whether it’s an evil stepmother or a virtuous mother-to-be, there are stories inherent in the acts of mothering and being mothered.
In these stories and poems, mothers become heroes and villains. The concept of motherhood is examined and stretched to its ultimate limits across time, space, gender, location, and concept. Deliciously dark, each tale forces us to examine the depth and breadth of what motherhood is and what a mother will do for her offspring.
With brand new stories from:
Gemma Files • Donyae Coles • Brian Evenson
Ai Jiang • Sarah Read • Nadia Bulkin
John Langan • S.P. Miskowski • Shane Hawk
Steve Toase • Christina Sng • Steve Rasnic Tem
Hailey Piper • Gabino Iglesias • Mercedes M. Yardley
and many more
Format: Shunn Manuscript, BLIND SUBMISSION. All references to author name must be removed from submission. Not doing so will result in immediate rejection. Our form submission process allows you to provide your personal information and upload your submission. This includes a purposefully blind submission technique—do not include your personal information or story title in your upload.
Note: This is a Kickstarter project, so everything in contingent on us reaching our goals.
What we want:
- Something creative and fresh
- Mothers as both villains and protagonists
- Literary and truly terrifying tales
- Crisp writing with all the fat cut away
- Diverse voices of all backgrounds, nationalities, gender identifications, sexual orientations, races, religions, and cultures
What we don’t want:
- Fan fiction
- Previously published stories
- Boring monsters doing boring stuff
- Excessive gore, sex, or swearing (we have a hard PG-13 bent, so we don’t HATE it, but it has to be pretty pertinent and defensible)
- A narrative-disguised soap box — we aren’t your platform for preaching ANYTHING
- Anything unedited. At least run it by another set of eyes before you send it.
Via: Weird Little Worlds.
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
Stuart Conover is a father, husband, published author, blogger, geek, entrepreneur, horror fanatic, and runs a few websites including Horror Tree!