- This event has passed.
Taking Submissions: Monstroddities
December 11, 2021
Deadline: December 31st, 2021
Payment: $50 flat rate per story, $25 flat rate per poem and a contributor’s copy
Theme: Obscure creatures and phenomena
Sliced Up Press is looking for short stories & poetry involving obscure creatures and phenomena for its third horror fiction anthology, Monstroddities, edited by Ben Walker.
Terrify us with your best story or poem about monsters or unexplained occurrences that are rarely used in horror.
Think cryptids, long-forgotten myths, melt monsters…phenomena like spontaneous combustion, dark matter, physical impossibilities – if you’ve ever wondered why there isn’t more horror about a particular thing, that’s what we’d like to see – the weirder the better. Set it in the present, the past, the future, on Earth or not – as long as it’s frightening.
What we’re looking for:
- All submissions must be in the horror genre. Bizarro, splatterpunk and extreme horror are welcome, but we don’t want anything involving rape, bestiality etc.
- As always we’re especially interested in submissions from women, BIPOC and LGBTQIA+ authors
- Please don’t use creatures/monsters from any existing properties including SCPs that are not your own unless they’re firmly in the international public domain
- Please don’t reference real-life cases/victims etc.
- No “classic” monsters or spins on tropes like zombies, werewolves or vampires
- All submissions must be original. We will not accept reprints, or stories/poetry published elsewhere, including on blogs, social media etc.
- Submit your best work in modern or classic manuscript format (as outlined on www.shunn.net/format), as an MS Word .doc or .docx attachment. Anything sent in a different format will be rejected without reply
- Authors may submit 1 (one) story and 1 (one) poem maximum for consideration – if you want to send both, please send them in separate emails
- Do not re-send stories/poems that have been rejected for previous calls to Sliced Up Press anthologies.
- No simultaneous submissions please.
SUBMISSION GUIDELINES & TERMS:
Please email submissions to [email protected] using the following format in the email subject line:
Submission for Monstroddities: [author’s name] – [story/poem title] – [word count]
In other words, your email subject line should look like this: Submission for Monstroddities: Your Name – The Bellowing Beast – 1,500 words
In the body of the email, please include an author bio of 3-4 sentences maximum along with any social media links and your PayPal ID.
Anything which does not follow the submission guidelines may be deleted without reply.
Payment: $50 flat rate per story, $25 flat rate per poem, paid via PayPal, plus 1 x paperback contributor copy following publication
Length: 1,000 words minimum, 3,000 words maximum – longer pieces will not be considered. No minimum word count for poetry.
Deadline for submissions: 31st December 2021, or until filled
Authors will be notified of acceptance or rejection by 31st January 2022 at the latest.
If you have not heard back by 31st January 2022, your story has been rejected.
Please do not email after submitting, unless you want to withdraw your story/poem. Any responses to feedback, chases for story/poem acceptance etc. will be deleted without reply.
No exclusivity will be sought. Authors retain all rights to their works after publication.
We are not looking for artwork submissions at this time.
Reminder – Sliced Up Press is not open to unsolicited submissions – we will only consider stories/poems etc. when there is an open call.
Any unsolicited submissions which do not relate to an open call will be rejected without reply.
Via: Sliced Up Press.
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
Stuart Conover is a father, husband, published author, blogger, geek, entrepreneur, horror fanatic, and runs a few websites including Horror Tree!