Taking Submissions: From the Ashes: An Anthology of Elemental Urban Fantasy (for Burn Survivors)
Deadline: July 16th, 2022
Payment: Original Fiction: $0.08/word up to 1,000 words, and $0.01/word after Reprints: $0.01/word
Theme: Must contain fire-based elemental magic in an urban fantasy setting.
Note: Reprints Welcome
Aurelia Leo presents the first of many fiction and poetry anthologies for a cause. In addition, the “Phoenix Warriors” who are selected to be a part of these anthologies will work together to hit the USA Today Bestseller list for no additional cost. This anthology will support the burn community in two ways:
- 30% of the proceeds will be donated on an ongoing basis to the Phoenix Society for Burn Survivors
- 70% of the proceeds will go to funding sunscreen protection and other burn centric beauty from Amun Ra Beauty
Full disclosure, the company was started by my mom and me as I had flash burns, and she sustained 3rd-degree burns on 25% of her body.
(Flexible) Deadline: July 16, 2022
Publication Date: February 7, 2023 (During National Burn Awareness Week)
- Original Fiction: $0.08/word up to 1,000 words, and $0.01/word after
- Reprints: $0.01/word
Length? Flash (1,000 words) up to novella length (39,999 words) (NOT FLEXIBLE)
Format? Shunn Modern Manuscript Format
Must contain fire-based elemental magic in an urban fantasy setting. Your main character can control it. Maybe the villain has it. It’s flexible. Bonus points if your MC is a burn survivor. A romantic subplot is okay but not required.
- Translations are accepted
- Simultaneous submissions to other markets are accepted
- Only two submissions allowed in total (one original and one reprinted story)
- Copyright remains with the author at all times
- Non-exclusive archival rights as long as the website(s) hosting the work are online
- First world electronic and print rights in English with exclusivity for 12 months from the date of publication
- If selected to be republished in another anthology in the future, payment in royalties is $0.01USD per word
- If selected for a podcast or audiobook, payment is $0.01USD per word for non-exclusive electronic audio rights
- Excerpts out of a novel
- Poorly formatted and edited work
- Overtly racist, sexist, or violent work
- Fanfiction of any kind
- Works above the word count
- Taboo elements (rape in all forms, incest, pedophilia, etc.) in almost all cases
- Protagonists that are Queer, Trans, Black, Indigenous, or/and People of Color (QTBIPOC)
- Settings outside of the United States of America, or the United States of America as we know it
- Intersectionality in regards to gender, class, ability status, ethnic origin, religion, sexual orientation, and so on
We take 2-3 weeks to respond to submissions. If you haven’t received a response by then, please query. If you have any questions, email info [at] aurelialeo.com.
Via: Pride Book Cafe.
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
Stuart Conover is a father, husband, published author, blogger, geek, entrepreneur, horror fanatic, and runs a few websites including Horror Tree!