- This event has passed.
Taking Submissions: Epic Fantasy
Deadline: March 24th, 2019
Payment: 6 cents per word.
Note: Reprints Allowed
Epic Fantasy: George R.R. Martin drew on Tolkien, who was inspired by William Morris, Medieval epics, and Norse mythology. This new collection of epic fantasy tales explores the classic themes of good vs. evil, the low-born hero, and the arrogant overlord, lacing them with a taste of sorcery that reaches back to the early sources and stirring them in with the brand new storytellers of today.
Word length is most likely to be successful at 2000–4000, but we will still read stories slightly outside this range.
Submit stories for ‘Detective Mysteries’ and ‘Epic Fantasy’ by email to [email protected]
Fees, Copyright and Other Terms
- We pay Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America (SFWA) rates of 6 cents per word.
- We would prefer to pay via PAYPAL because bank charges to the US and Canada in particular can be crippling for all concerned.
- Payment for the chosen stories will be made within 30 days of the final advertised publication date (see our website flametreepublishing.com for details), although some may be paid earlier than that.
- Submission does not imply the right to publication. Each story will be read and assessed by the selection panel.
- Please submit in .doc, .docx or .rtf formats, double spaced, with your name and email address in the footer or header of each page.
- We will aim to read each story and confirm its status within 3 months of the submission deadline.
- The anthologies will be published worldwide, available online and to bookstores worldwide, in print and ebook formats.
- You can submit more than one story, and to each collection.
- Final submission date is 24 March 2019.
Submit by email only to: [email protected]
The selection will be made by our group of life-long, in-house enthusiasts: Nick Wells (Publisher), Josie Mitchell, Gillian Whitaker, Cat Taylor and Taylor Bentley.
A Word about the SFWA
To confirm, we are an SFWA qualifying market, so being published by us will help your status with them of course, but also with other readers and writers.
About Flame Tree Publishing
Now over 25 years old we started in 1992, covering a wide range of art and culture titles, with a strong vein of highly-illustrated Gothic and Fantasy books, notebooks and art calendars. Our Gothic Dreams books include Necronomicon, Steampunk, Dystopia, our large format titles Gothic Art, Fantasy Art and Dragon Art are sumptuous, and we publish gothic fiction reprints by Mary Shelley, H.G. Wells, Jules Verne, and more, in our Flame Tree 451 imprint. 2017 and 2018 also saw the publication of our Astounding Illustrated History of Science Fiction and The Astounding Illustrated History of Fantasy and Horror.
Our anthologies are designed to be read in print. They look and feel fantastic. You’ll feel proud to hand them to your friends, family, colleagues – so do send us your story!
Thank you, and good luck. We look forward to reading your tales of imagination.
Via: Flame Tree Publishing.
- Ongoing Submissions: Unreal Magazine - July 18, 2019
- Taking Submissions: The Other Stories Vol 45. Abandoned Places - July 18, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Gruesome Games - July 17, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Mythical Girls - July 16, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Electric Spec November Issue 2019 - July 16, 2019
- Ongoing Submissions: Mortal Realm – New Worlds (Sci-Fi) - July 15, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Trigger Warning - July 15, 2019
- Trembling With Fear 07/14/2019 - July 14, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Tell-Tale Press Short Stories - July 12, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Sci Phi Journal - July 11, 2019