- This event has passed.
Taking Submissions: DreamForge Magazine
August 31, 2019
Deadline: August 31st, 2019
Payment: Between $0.04 and $0.08/word
Note: Reprints allowed
We will be open August 1 though August 31st.
Follow our Guidelines and you are more likely to receive a personalized response. Ignore our Guidelines and a standard rejection may quickly follow.
What Are We Looking For?
Positive stories demonstrating the triumph of the human spirit and the power of hope and humane values in overcoming the most daunting challenges.
We are interested in all SF and Fantasy genres, but no horror please.
In this reading period, we need more SF than Fantasy. Young Adult to the Literary.
- No to Pollyannish and Utopian simplicity.
- Yes to communities and teams working together to overcome dire challenges.
- Yes to marginalized and under-represented characters as protagonists.
- Yes to science and magic that solve problems, alleviate suffering, and boldly explore new possibilities.
- No to corrupt, dystopian governments or evil corporations.
- Tone down the violence, profanity, and sex. It’s only useful if the story demands it.
Shorter is better!
We need works 5,000 words and under. If you submit a story over 5,000 words, it has to be amazing to get very far in the review process.
Overall, we will consider the following word counts:
- Flash Fiction & Poetry: 100 – 1500 words
- Short Stories: 2,000 – 7,500 words
- Novelettes: 7,500 – 10,000 words.
Your story must be submitted in Word or RTF format.
Top of the First Page
- Title of Story (centered)
- Your By Line (centered)
- No Address or other Personal Info please.
- Font: Arial, Size 12
- Double spaced
- Indented paragraphs
- Single spacing between sentences.
- No extra line break between paragraphs
- Section breaks, as needed, should be three ### symbols, centered on the page.
- In the document Header, include Last Name/Title/Page #
- When you SAVE your file, name it in the following way: FirstName-LastName-Story-Title
During the submission process, you will have the opportunity to write a cover letter, enter the word count, select genre and story type, etc.
Contracts and Payment
Our contract is based on the model provided by the Science Fiction Writers of America (SFWA). Copyright and story ownership remain with the author. Contract terms are negotiable within reason.
We acquire first serial print rights in North America and first world electronic rights for online publication.
Payment rates vary between $0.04 and $0.08/word, depending on the following:
- Print and Online publication (6-8 cents/word)
- Reprints and Online publication only (4-5 cents/word)
- Word Count
- Merit (We have been known to pay more for stories that made us giddy with excitement to publish them.)
Poems and micro-stories are paid at the rate of $25 to $100.
Payment is on Acceptance
- If you are a Forge Master (print) Dreamforge subscriber who subscribed before 3/1/19, be sure to tell us that in your cover letter. Your story will be read by the Editor-in-Chief and you will receive feedback on your story.
- One submission at a time, please, but you are welcome to submit again if your story is returned.
- If we offer suggestions on improving your writing or story structure, we want to see evidence that you tried to follow our advice on your next submission.
- Simultaneous submissions are OK, if you let us know as soon as your story is accepted elsewhere.
- Please allow 6 to 9 weeks for our review and final response. We try to be faster, but we have full-time day jobs and we can get overwhelmed. Feel free to query us at [email protected].
- We will consider reprints if you can show that publication rights have reverted to you, the author.
Congratulations, you made it all the way here! It’s time to move on to our Submissions Procedure Page!
Please click the image to the right or the following link: DreamForge Submissions Procedures.