- This event has passed.
Taking Submissions: Chilling Crime Short Stories
March 14, 2021
Deadline: March 14th, 2021
Payment: 8 cents/6 pence per word for original stories, 6 cents/4 pence for reprints
Theme: The darker side of crime: the cold cases, the grim murders, the desperate villains, and the race against time to solve the crime
Note: Reprints Welcome
About the theme:
We’ve looked at cosy crime and detective thrillers, now it’s time to turn to the darker side: the cold cases, the grim murders, the desperate villains, and the race against time to solve the crime. We’re seeking up to 20 new stories to join our powerful collection of Chilling Crime Short Stories, new and classic tales reaching back into ancient, medieval, Elizabethan and Victorian fiction. From Oedipus Rex and Medea to Thomas More’s story of the Princes in the Tower, Scheherazade’s ‘The Three Apples’ and the chilling crime fiction of Dickens, Poe, Henry James, Baroness Orczy and Wilkie Collins.
- We do not require exclusivity and do accept reprints
- Simultaneous submissions are fine but you must have the right to license your story in an anthology
- For accepted stories we pay Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America (SFWA) rates of 8 cents/6 pence per word for original stories, 6 cents/4 pence for reprints
- We will aim to read each story and confirm its status within 4 months of the submission deadline
- Payment for the chosen stories will be made within 30 days of the final advertised publication date (see our website flametreepublishing.com for details), although some may be paid earlier than that
- Submission does not imply the right to publication. Each story will be read and assessed by the selection panel
- Submit your story to [email protected]
- Word length is most likely to be successful at 2000-4000 words, but we will still read stories slightly outside this range
- Let us know in your submission email if your story is a reprint
- Please submit in .doc, .docx or .rtf formats, double spaced, with your name and email address in the footer or header of each page
- If submitting a story that has recently been submitted to us for consideration to another anthology, please state this in the submission email
- Deadline for submissions is the 14th of March 2021
The Flame Tree Gothic Fantasy, Classic Stories and Epic Tales collections bring together the entire range of myth, folklore and modern short fiction. Highlighting the roots of suspense, supernatural, science fiction and mystery stories, the books in the Flame Tree Collections series are beautifully presented, highly collectable and offer a lifetime of reading pleasure.
Thank you, and good luck!
Via: Flame Tree Publishing.
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
Stuart Conover is a father, husband, published author, blogger, geek, entrepreneur, horror fanatic, and runs a few websites including Horror Tree!