- This event has passed.
Taking Submissions: Broadswords And Blasters
November 30, 2018
Deadline: November 30th, 2018
What We Want – Fiction
SUBMISSIONS ARE CURRENTLY OPEN FROM NOVEMBER 1, 2018 to NOVEMBER 30, 2018!
BROADSWORDS AND BLASTERS is looking for quality submissions in the pulp magazine tradition. What does that mean? We want your tales of:
- sword and sorcery;
- westerns (Weird or otherwise);
- horror (Cosmic, Southern Gothic, visceral, and psychological);
- detective tales;
- two-fisted action;
- retro science fiction.
- Tales should feature strong characters and visceral action. No navel-gazing.
- Despite having great action, detailed settings, and iconic characters, much of old-school pulp is unfortunately emblematic of limited cultural ideals that we have no interest in propagating. As such, we encourage diverse characters and welcome stories that subvert the standard pulp formula.
- We prefer clear descriptions. While we appreciate poetic prose, the reader has to be able to understand what is happening.
- For rating guidelines (language, descriptions) we are looking at a hard R-rating as the maximum we will publish. That is to say, we don’t shy away from cursing, gore, or sex, but such content needs to serve the story, not be there for the sake of being there.
- Word count: Submissions must be between 2,000 to 5,000 words. Anything outside these limits will be rejected.
- Please submit stories in either .rtf, .doc, or .docx. Please use standard submission format. http://www.shunn.net/format/story.html
- We do not accept reprints.
- We do not accept multiple submissions. Please submit only one story at a time.
- We do accept simultaneous submissions, but please tell us in the body of the email that you are submitting to more than one publication. If the story is accepted elsewhere, please let us know as soon as possible.
Payment and terms
- We pay a flat $15.00 per story upon publication. All payments will be made through paypal.
- All published contributors will receive a comp electronic copy.
How to Submit
- Email your submission to [email protected]
- Use the subject line Submission: (the title of your story)
- Include a short cover letter in the body of your email. Mention the title of your story. The cover letter should also include a short biography (100 words or less). Don’t forget to mention any social media accounts (Facebook, twitter, etc) you would like to have included with your bio.
- Our goal is to reply within 2 – 4 weeks of the submission window closing. If you haven’t heard from us after 30 days of the window closing, please send a query to [email protected]. Please include the title of the story you are querying about.
Via: Broadswords And Blasters.
- The Unholy Trinity: Barrel - January 18, 2019
- SFWA Is Raising Pro Rate For Short Fiction To Eight Cents Per Word - January 17, 2019
- Taking Submissions: The Suburban Review #13: LUCK - January 17, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Even Furries Hate Nazis - January 17, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Tales from the Space Force - January 17, 2019
- Ongoing Submissions: Historic Heroines - January 16, 2019
- Ongoing Submissions: parABnormal Magazine - January 16, 2019
- Ongoing Submissions: Remain Magazine - January 15, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Electric Spec May Issue 2019 - January 15, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Alternative Apocalypses - January 14, 2019