- This event has passed.
Taking Submissions: Baba Yaga Anthology
March 1, 2018
Deadline: March 1sst, 2018
Payment: $50 and a contributor’s copy
Anthologist: Kate Wolford
Open for Submissions: January 1 to March 1, 2018
Expected Publication: late 2018
Story Length: 7,500 to 20,000 words
Payment: $50 per story + contributor copy
Baba Yaga, the terrifying witch of the forest in Slavic folklore, lends herself to all kinds of interpretations. Notorious for traveling in a mortar while wielding a pestle, Baba Yaga sometimes wreaks havoc on humans, but can turn around and help when she feels like it. And she is an early Tiny House owner–hers moves on chicken feet.
Baba Yaga may be recognizable from classic images by Ivan Billibin, but, in the US and some other countries, her qualities are not as widely known as they are in Slavic countries. A link to learn more is HERE.
Kate is looking for stories from Baba Yaga’s point of view, or the point of view from those she helps or hurts, or from anyone who might be a protagonist worthy of the Baba Yaga story. You can set the story in the past or present. The story can take place anywhere in the world. It can include romance or action or tragedy or comedy.
Kate wants well-developed stories that don’t disintegrate at the end because they’re rushed or major plot lines are unfinished. Develop characters. Draw readers in with specific details. Make them root for the protagonist.
The audience is age 15 and up. Please, no sci-fi, dystopian, erotica, high fantasy, time-travel, futuristic, space travel, or western submissions. No love triangles, please.
Kate will not provide feedback at any point during the submissions period.
Submission Method: Send your story pasted into the body of the email. Attachments will not be opened. Please email with Submission: [story title] in the subject line. Please include a brief cover letter, but DO NOT summarize your story in the cover letter. Send submissions to Enchantedconversation[at]gmail[dot]com.
No multiple submissions. Just one per author. But simultaneous submissions are fine.
ABOUT THE ANTHOLOGIST
Via: World Weaver Press.
- Taking Submissions: Claw & Blossom: Equinox: Stripes - January 28, 2020
- Guest Post: How to Submit a Short Story for Publication: The Complete 10-Step Process - January 28, 2020
- Taking Submissions: Horror USA: Hawaii - January 28, 2020
- Taking Submissions: Untitled Ghost Stories Anthology - January 27, 2020
- Taking Submissions: Horror for Hire - January 27, 2020
- Taking Submissions: In Darkness, Delight: Fear the Future (Volume 3) - January 24, 2020
- Taking Submissions: Untitled Local Oddities Cemetery Gates Anthology - January 23, 2020
- Taking Submissions: A Monster Told Me Bedtime Stories - January 23, 2020
- Taking Submissions: One Story - January 22, 2020
- Ongoing Submissions: Public Domain Fanzine - January 22, 2020