- This event has passed.
Taking Submissions: Apparition Lit Magazine (Short Window!)
February 28, 2020
Deadline: February 28th, 2020
Payment: $0.03 per word, minimum of $30.00 dollars for short stories. $30 per poem
Note: This call doesn’t officially open until the 15th but is going live early due to the short submission window
Apparition Lit is open for poetry and short story submissions four times a year.
- February 15-28
- May 15-31
- August 15-31
- November 15-30
Submissions received outside of posted open dates will be deleted unread.
Our themes for 2020 will be:
- Experimentation (Submission period November 15-30, 2019 CLOSED, Published January 2020)
- Transfiguration (Submission period February 15-28, 2020, CLOSED Published April 2020)
- Redemption (Submission period May 15-31, 2020, CLOSED Published July 2020)
- Satisfaction (Submission period August 15-31, 2020, CLOSED Publishing October 2020)
Our previous themes for 2019: Resistance (Published January 2019) – Ambition (Published April 2019) – Retribution (Published July 2019) – Euphoria (Published October 2019) for 2018: Apparition (Published January 2018) – Delusion (Published April 2018) – Vision (Published July 2018) – Diversion (Published October 2018)
Apparition Lit also holds monthly flash fiction contests. These stories will follow selected themes and be published online.
For more information on themes and submission guidelines, please see the flash fiction drop down below.
Apparition is a semi-pro rate magazine, paying $0.03 per word, minimum of $30.00 dollars for short stories (excluding flash contest. See details in the Flash Fiction dropdown for flash rates) and a flat fee of $30 per poem. If we accept your story, we are purchasing the right to publish the story online and in the quarterly edition. Rights will revert back to the artist after one year.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR:
(Click on the sections to see detailed guidelines for each classification.)
We will only accept stories between 1000-5000 words. If the story is complete with an extra hundred words, then it will still be considered. Any stories over 5,100 words, or incorrectly formatted, will automatically be rejected.
Apparition is a semi-pro magazine, paying $0.03 per word, minimum of 30.00 dollars (excluding flash contest). If we accept your story, we are purchasing the right to publish the story online and in the quarterly edition. Rights will revert back to the artist after one year.
HOW TO SUBMIT:
- Format the story using the Shunn manuscript
- Please only use Times New Roman or Arial font in your document
- Save as an RTF file and attach to an email
- In the text of the email, provide a brief cover letter that includes your name, the title of the short story, word count, and any relevant publications
- Edit the email’s subject line so it reads: SUBMISSION: Title of Your Story
- Email your formatted email and short story manuscript to [email protected]
- Add Apparition Lit to your Safe Senders list so you can receive our auto-response emails
All acceptances and rejections will be emailed by the 15th day of the following month after submissions close.
If you have not heard back by the 15th, send a query to: [email protected] with the title of your submission. Before emailing, please check your spam folder.
To make sure you receive all emails from Apparition Lit, please add us to your Safe Senders list in your email client.
Via: Apparition Lit.
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
Stuart Conover is a father, husband, published author, blogger, geek, entrepreneur, horror fanatic, and runs a few websites including Horror Tree!