We all know that every story has its own length, a set number of words needed to tell the story it needs to tell. Some are very clearly short stories — under 10,000 words — while others that require more (20,000 words or more) are novellas or novels. But what about those in-between stories, the stories that fall awkwardly between the 10,000 and 20,000 words.
Recently we’ve been receiving stories that fall into that category and we were at a loss as to what to do with them. Too long for an anthology, but not quite long enough to stand on its own as a short novel (novella), these novelettes often fall through the cracks and it’s a shame because often they are quite good but publishers just don’t know what to do with them. That’s why we decided to launch a new line: GRAVE MARKERS.
What’s a GRAVE MARKER and how will they differ? Those stories accepted to the GRAVE MARKER line will be published as stand-alone offerings in digital format only. Early the following year all of the GRAVE MARKERS published the previous year will be compiled into a print collection of novelettes. We expect the competition for this line to be fierce, as we will only be accepting 4 to 6 novelettes during the course of the year, so send us your very best.
Interested? Send your submission to [email protected]
Via: Grinning Skull Press.
- Six Hundred Sixty Six Bottles of Blood on the Wall: Crossroads and Intersections - January 14, 2017
- Ongoing Submissions: Trigger Warning - April 7, 2016
- Six Hundred Sixty Six Bottles of Blood on the Wall: Not Ready To Die - September 19, 2015
- Ongoing Submissions: Black Girls Are Magic Lit Mag - September 11, 2015
- Ongoing Submissions: Creepy Campfire Stories (for Grownups) Quarterly Publication - July 24, 2015
- Introducing GRAVE MARKERS - June 3, 2015
- Six Hundred Sixty Six Bottles of Blood on the Wall: Things I’m Thankful For (And a few I’m not) - November 27, 2014
- Ongoing Submissions: Flash Fiction For PMMP - September 11, 2014
- Six Hundred Sixty Six Bottles of Blood on the Wall: An Open Letter to Publishers - July 5, 2014
- Ongoing Submissions: Cranial Leakage – Tales From The Grinning Skull - June 6, 2014