Taking Submissions: The Quiet Ones October 2022 issue (Early Listing)
Submission Window: July 15th, 2022 – August 31st, 2022
Theme: Nocturnal Animals
The Quiet Ones is a tri-annual e-zine that centers LGBTQIAP+ and women’s voices in the subgenres of quiet horror and intimate dystopian fiction, both for YA and Adult audiences.
New installments of The Quiet Ones are released on the last Thursdays of October, February, and June, and are available for download on our website. We are exploring other avenues for distribution and will update accordingly as The Quiet Ones becomes available by other means.
“Quiet Horror” applies to atmospheric, unsettling stories that rely more on mood and rhythm than on shock and gore. Examples of quiet horror include: classic ghost stories and shorts like The Tell-Tale Heart by Edgar Allan Poe, modern moody masterworks like The Walls Around Us by: Nova Ren Suma, and films such as The Exorcist III or Pontypool where so much of the horror is left to the viewer to imagine as opposed to horror films that bombard their audience with scenes of excessive gore and jump scares.
“Intimate Dystopia” is all about scale. We’re looking to zoom that lens in – show us the personal, everyday impact of living under totalitarian regimes, or heavily restricted environments – anything from haunted houses to run-down clubs or playgrounds – anywhere upon which the larger trappings of dystopian visions apply. For post-apocalyptic stories, give us small, contained spaces which explore life in the ruined world. Examples of intimate dystopia include: Speech Sounds by Octavia Butler, Wool by Hugh Howey, and films such as Quarantine (or [Rec]), or Tale of A Vampire.
- Short Stories up to 3000 Words
- Flash and Micro Fiction up to 1000 Words
Author Compensation: $25.00 (USD) per piece
Rights: We request first worldwide and digital rights for four months following publication. Thereafter all rights revert to the author. All copyright remains with the author.
October ’22 Theme: Nocturnal Animals
Call Status: CLOSED – Check Dates Below.
Publication: Digital Format (PDF)
Submission Period: July 15, 2022 – August 31, 2022
Decisions By: September 21, 2022
Release Date: October 27, 2022
What We’re Looking For: Quiet Horror and Dystopian genre works that fit the theme, “Nocturnal Animals.” You may be as creative with your interpretation of the theme as you like as long as your submission fits the genres we publish (see our FAQ page for more on how we define Quiet Horror and Intimate Dystopia).
EMail Submissions To: [email protected]
Continue below to read our submission rules and guidelines…
~ Submission Guidelines ~
- For all open calls, submit your work by email to [email protected] with the subject line formatted as such: “[Zine Publication Month/Year] [Story title] [Author name] [Age Range]” (ex.“June 2022 – The Sinkhole – David Fey – Adult”).
- Please submit your work as an email attachment in .doc/.docx format.
- Authors may submit up to two pieces per issue. We request that each piece be submitted via its own individual email. You are welcomed to interpret each issue’s theme however you like but keep in mind that your interpretation should be within the realms of quiet horror and/or intimate dystopia.
- Ensure your document contains your story title, your name (or pen name), and an approximate word count. In the event that your story is selected for publication, we will need your legal name for the contract.
- Please include a header on each page of your document with your surname, title and page number.
- Your document should be formatted in Times New Roman, 12pt., with double line spacing and indented paragraphs (double line spacing does not apply to poetry).
- We presently do not accept simultaneous submissions, works in translation, or non-fiction.
- In case of acceptance, please also include a brief biography in the third person of approximately 75 words, including any personal social media links (such as a Twitter or personal website) that you’d like to share.
(For a more detailed look at classic manuscript formatting, please refer to this article by WILLIAM SHUNN.)
Via: We Are The Quiet Ones.
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
Stuart Conover is a father, husband, published author, blogger, geek, entrepreneur, horror fanatic, and runs a few websites including Horror Tree!