Deadline: October 1st, 2022
Payment: US: $40 + author copy/non-US: $45
Theme: Dark fiction that invoke the nefarious spirit of the dark wizard
Quill & Crow Publishing House is pleased to open submissions for another surprise anthology for 2022, Rituals & Grimoires: Gothic Tales of Dark Magic & Wizardry.
For this collection, we are looking for short stories (5,000 – 8,000 words) of dark fiction that invoke the nefarious spirit of the dark wizard. We’d love to see diverse characters, male witches, and stories that turn tired tropes right on their heads. Give us haunted corridors, wayward spellcasters, and secret societies. Give us tales that explore the mortal grays in witchcraft.
Also, we are well aware of a certain YA book series that this theme may bring to mind. As a proudly inclusive publishing house that fully supports the trans community, we understand if this anthology brings to mind the betrayal many of us experienced with a childhood favorite. Part of our mission is to preserve the quality of independent literature/storytelling, but it’s also to take back things often ruined by bigotries and act as a voice for those who have been oppressed. We’d be honored if you’d help us take back these themes and make them into something better.
Notes: We will be open to explorations of dark academia, but this is an adult fiction anthology. If you do choose to write a dark fiction story with dark academia vibes, please keep the prose and themes mature.
Things we are looking for:
Things we ARE NOT looking for:
Please note: Submissions that do not follow requirements will not be considered.
1. We are accepting original works only. You must own the copyright to your submission.
2. Submissions period is from June 8th – October 1st, 2022. Please submit all stories to [email protected] with the subject line: Rituals & Grimoires / Your Title / Genre. Emails sent to other email addresses will not be considered.
2. All submissions must be in English and follow standard MLA formatting (double spaced, 12-point Times New Roman font). Work must be polished and edited (to the best of your ability). Please submit as a .docx file and include your name, title, and word count on the front page. In the body of the email, please include a short sentence or two about your story, and a BRIEF author bio along with your socials.
3. Story length is 5,000 to 8,000 words. Submissions below 5,000 words and above 8,000 words will not be considered.
4. Accepted authors will receive compensation per contract agreement (US: $40 + author copy/non-US: $45 + ebook author copy).
5. We do accept reprints if author has maintained their rights to do so; we do not accept multiple submissions.
6. Please do not contact any Quill & Crow employee on their social media accounts with submissions questions.
Via: Quill and Crow Publishing House.