Our church worships at the altar of the Unholy Trinity. Its gospels are delivered as a trio of dark drabbles, linked so that Three become One. All hail the power of the Three.
Mother lay there quietly. There was nothing anyone could do; her clock was winding down. She gazed at me serenely, she was at peace. Amongst the clinical whiteness I saw an incongruous sight. A moth fluttered across the ceiling. It found its way to the window, its wings hitting the glass. I instinctively reached out to squash this unwelcome visitor in the death chamber, but a gasp stayed my hand. My mother’s eyes stared at me imploringly. I suddenly understood. I opened the window and let it fly. It soared to the heavens. Behind me, mother took her last breath.
I lay in the road; the wheel of my bicycle and the fender of the car that had hit me were the only objects visible. I couldn’t move my body. I heard voices around me, shouting about blood and injury. I felt my eyes closing, my heart stopping.
“Keep awake,” said a voice, but I couldn’t will myself to draw in air.
I saw a moth fluttering above me. It descended, alighting briefly on my mouth before flying away. I felt an odd sensation in my chest. My heart suddenly beat once more, and I found I could breathe again.
The third injection hadn’t worked. The condemned man twitched and moaned on the gurney. He was unable to move.
“Damnit, can’t you find a vein?” cursed the guard.
“I have, three times now,” replied the exasperated doctor. He tried again. The death row prisoner stared at him in mute agony.
Aware of the growing disquiet of the watching people, the guard looked round for a solution.
“Just keep injecting him, doc.”
“I’m running out.”
A moth fluttered past the guard’s face. He reached out and crushed it, throwing the pulverised creature onto the floor. The prisoner finally closed his eyes.
R.J. Meldrum is an author and academic. Born in Scotland, he moved to Ontario, Canada in 2010. He has had stories published by Sirens Call Publications, Horrified Press, Trembling with Fear, Darkhouse Books, Smoking Pen Press and James Ward Kirk Fiction. He is an Affiliate Member of the Horror Writers Association.
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/richard.meldrum.79
- Taking Submissions: Darkness Wired - June 17, 2019
- Trembling With Fear 06/16/2019 - June 16, 2019
- The Horror Tree Presents… An Interview With S. L. Edwards - June 15, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Timeless 2 - June 14, 2019
- Unholy Trinity – Let’s Trip - June 14, 2019
- Taking Submissions: LTUE Benefit/Charity Anthology #3 – Twilight Tales - June 13, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Blood Bath Literary Zine Issue 3 – Hauntings - June 13, 2019
- Taking Submissions: The Marshall - June 12, 2019
- Ongoing Submissions: Pretty Cool Poetry Thing - June 12, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Catacombs: Martyrs on Earth and Elsewhere - June 11, 2019