Ongoing Submissions: Short Edition’s Rendez-Vous
Payment: $125 for fiction, $75 for poetry
The world of short fiction can often seem overwhelming and, at worst, impenetrable. With thousands of places to submit your work and thousands of places to read great fiction, where does one begin?
At Short Édition, we want to bring literature to the readers, whether they’re short fiction newbies or long-time veterans. Our Short Story Dispensers serve the democratization of short fiction. They bring the literary world to the streets, for all people, and they do it with flair and free of charge. You simply press the 1-, 3-, or 5-minute button for a tactile literary experience, a rare and treasured thing in our digital world today.
Providing a connection between readers and writers, the Dispensers are quickly becoming meeting points for communities: literary watering holes drawing people together to support local talent and discover stories from other places and cultures. By opening a general submissions period year-round, we hope to give all writers the opportunity to participate in this unique community.
Starting July 1st, rendez-vous at your local Dispenser. The editorial team at Short Édition will be publishing a monthly selection of original and unpublished short fiction in both the Short Story Dispensers and on our website. So, mark your calendars for the Rendez-Vous, the release of each collection on the first of each month.
What are we looking for, you might ask? Short stories and poems to delight, inspire, surprise, and, most importantly, move our readers. Button fiction — very short fiction published at the push of a button — is found in unexpected places, whether it’s when you’re savoring the last sips at the local coffee shop, waiting in line at the DMV, or strolling through the airport. We want to insert a bit of storytelling into the mundane moments, elevating the role of story in the everyday.
ometimes the monthly Rendez-Vous will be themed; sometimes it won’t. But each collection will be coherent and carefully crafted by our editorial team. If you submit a piece in June and it isn’t published in the July Rendez-Vous, that doesn’t necessarily mean it hasn’t been selected. It could simply be that it just wasn’t right for that particular issue.
Please give our editorial team up to 4 months to get back to you about your submission.
- All submissions must be submitted via this submission platform in a copy/paste format. We cannot respond to unsolicited submissions via post or email.
- We welcome submissions from established and emerging writers alike.
- Submissions must be short stories and poems of maximum 8,000 characters, spaces included or children’s stories of maximum 7,000 characters, spaces included.
- Works must be previously unpublished in print or online, including on personal blogs.
- We will only accept fictional works, and they may be any style or genre, excluding erotic.
- We pay $125 for each selected short story and $75 for each poem as an advance payment on the royalties that each author will receive on a yearly basis from the Short Story Dispenser subscriptions.
- Each selected piece will be published as a part of a Rendez-vous collection in our Short Story Dispensers around the world and on our website, short-edition.com/en.
- Simultaneous submissions are accepted as long as you inform us immediately if your work is accepted for publication elsewhere.
- the exclusive right to publish your work in our Short Story Dispensers or any similar vending machine.
- the exclusive right to use or adapt your work as a basis for audio.
- the non-exclusive right to publish your work on all other media, such as our website, for example.Concerning rights to your work, we ask for:
- Please read our Publishing Terms and Conditions here in detail. Submitting your work via this submission platform is an agreement to the full Publishing Terms and Conditions.
- Only one submission per writer in each category (poetry, short story, and children’s story), but once you’ve received a final response from us, we encourage you to submit another piece.
- Our response rate could be anywhere from a few days up to four months, depending on the number of submissions we receive.
Via: Short Edition.