Payment: 5 cents per word to a maximum of $50
- Gumshoe Review is now open to accept original fiction (mysteries, not character studies). The short stories should be no longer than 1,000 words. Pay will be 5 cents per word to a maximum of $50 (so if the story is longer you still only get $50). Our plan is to publish one short story per month. Stories should be sent as plain text within the body of an email or as a .txt, .pdf (not password protected), .doc, or .wp attachment to [email protected] Please use the subject line “Gumshoe Short Story Submission: Story Title”. Please include a short bio with the story. Works should be original and unpublished.
We try will acknowledge receipt of the story immediately but it may take us longer to respond about whether we will use the story in an upcoming month. (Updated: 07/2017) If you don’t hear from us in a reasonable amount of time, feel free to query about your status. The staff is very small and health and time issues have severely impacted our response times–including acknowledgements of receipt of submissions. Thus, a query is more than acceptable under current circumstances.
Simultaneous submission are okay but notify us if it is accepted elsewhere before we get back to you.
What are we looking for? Our Senior Editor put it quite succinctly: “We’re looking for stories where the investigator is the protagonist, or at least a significant character, and the focus is on solving a crime, or getting someone out of a jam, or seeking some sort of justice.”
- Trembling With Fear 04/21/2019 - April 21, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Recognize Fascism - April 19, 2019
- Video Refresh: First Draft Blues - April 19, 2019
- The Unholy Trinity: The Old Man - April 19, 2019
- Taking Submissions: DreamForge Magazine - April 18, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Organic Ink: Volume Three - April 18, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Little Girl Lost: Thirteen Tales of Youth Disrupted - April 17, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Cats. And Bikes. In Space. - April 17, 2019
- Calling All Poets! Billy Collins Teaches Reading And Writing Poetry In This New MasterClass! - April 16, 2019
- Taking Submissions: The Shadow Booth Volumes 4 And 5 - April 16, 2019