Payment: 5 cents per word to a maximum of $50
- Gumshoe Review is now open to accept original fiction (mysteries, not character studies). The short stories should be no longer than 1,000 words. Pay will be 5 cents per word to a maximum of $50 (so if the story is longer you still only get $50). Our plan is to publish one short story per month. Stories should be sent as plain text within the body of an email or as a .txt, .pdf (not password protected), .doc, or .wp attachment to [email protected] Please use the subject line “Gumshoe Short Story Submission: Story Title”. Please include a short bio with the story. Works should be original and unpublished.
We try will acknowledge receipt of the story immediately but it may take us longer to respond about whether we will use the story in an upcoming month. (Updated: 07/2017) If you don’t hear from us in a reasonable amount of time, feel free to query about your status. The staff is very small and health and time issues have severely impacted our response times–including acknowledgements of receipt of submissions. Thus, a query is more than acceptable under current circumstances.
Simultaneous submission are okay but notify us if it is accepted elsewhere before we get back to you.
What are we looking for? Our Senior Editor put it quite succinctly: “We’re looking for stories where the investigator is the protagonist, or at least a significant character, and the focus is on solving a crime, or getting someone out of a jam, or seeking some sort of justice.”
- WIHM: Be Brave, Be Delighted - February 16, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Apparition Lit Magazine (Short Window!) - February 15, 2019
- Creators Should Really Check Out The Available MasterClass Programs! - February 15, 2019
- Video Refresh: James Dorr Interview - February 15, 2019
- WIHM: Horror Is For Women - February 15, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Blasphemous Rumors - February 14, 2019
- Trembling With Fear 02/14/2019 – Love Isn’t In The Air! - February 14, 2019
- Taking Submissions: Shotgun Honey Presents Volume 4 - February 14, 2019
- WIHM: “Do You Not Get Scared?” My Life as a Horror Book Reviewer and Writer. - February 14, 2019
- Serial Killers: Plaything Part 2 - February 13, 2019