- This event has passed.
Taking Submissions: Timeworn Literary Journal
August 1, 2019
Deadline: August 1st, 2019
Payment: $25 and a contributor’s copy
Timeworn Literary Journal welcomes submissions of unpublished historical fiction stories in English under 5,000 words. They should be set before 1996, rooted in history but with a focus on narrative.
Historical Fiction from the fringe means anything with a bend toward the surreal, the dream-like, the strange. The off-beat kind of story that settles into your heart long after reading. That said, we also value beauty and warmth and a generally well-written story with soul. Romance, Mystery, Crime and the Gothic are all acceptable. Speculative elements strongly encouraged.
Think, The Lonely Hearts Hotel by Heather O’Neill.
Think, The Invention of Everything Else by Samantha Hunt.
Think, Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood.
Think, Longbourn by Jo Baker.
While we love a tasteful sex scene, no erotica. No gratuitous violence or rape.
History can vary a great deal based on the perspective it’s written from. We aim to publish stories from all walks of life and encourage submissions from those in marginalized groups.
Not sure if your story fits? Submit to [email protected] using Standard Manuscript Format in Times New Roman, 12-point font, double spaced. Subject line should read: SUBMISSION: [story title] [word count].
Simultaneous submissions ok, but let us know as soon as the story is accepted elsewhere.
Stories will be published in a limited quantity of hand-bound, saddle stitch publications twice a year, available for purchase in October and April for $10. Stories will also be available on our website for all to enjoy.
Payment of $25 will be sent to authors upon acceptance + contributor copy upon publication.
- Taking Submissions: Horror USA: Nevada - February 21, 2020
- Ongoing Submissions: Cosmic Horror Monthly - February 20, 2020
- Taking Submissions: Corners of the World - February 20, 2020
- Taking Submissions: Disturbia - February 19, 2020
- Taking Submissions: Every Day Fiction – April 2020 Themes - February 19, 2020
- Taking Submissions: Historic Fantasy - February 18, 2020
- WIHM: Just Sit Down and Bleed: On Writing Female and Diverse Characters - February 18, 2020
- Taking Submissions: Worst Laid Plans: An Anthology of Vacation Horror - February 18, 2020
- Taking Submissions: Acethetic - February 17, 2020
- WIHM: Redefining the Horror Genre - February 17, 2020