- This event has passed.
Taking Submissions: Magical Mail Writing Contest
Deadline: December 15th, 2018
Prizes: One First Place winner will receive $500, one Second Place winner will receive $250, and one Third Place winner will receive $100. We may select up to 11 Honorable Mention winners (1 for each month). Any Honorable Mentions will receive $25.
Since 1996 Legendary Letters has been sending magical mail to people all over the world. Some of the lesser known magical beings (who aren’t as experienced letter writers) are hoping you can help them out and give them some good ideas. Winning letters will eventually be sent to real children all over the world!
- Read the example letter from Santa Claus to get an idea of what we are looking for.
- Choose one of the characters and holidays below. Research your character and holiday so you know interesting details to include about your life as that character.
- As the character you’ve chosen, write your letter to Jessie Jones using the information provided below. (This is all you know about the child.) Letters should be 3-4 paragraphs long and 200-300 words each.
- Reread your letter but replace Jessie’s information with that of a child you know. Does the letter work for any child the same way Santa’s does? If not, edit your letter.
- Submit your letter through this link: Writing Contest Submission Form by December 15, 2018 at 11:59pm PST.
- Repeat steps 1-5 but choose a different character and holiday. You may submit 1 letter per category for a total of 11 submissions. (Optional)
Characters & Holidays (this is whom the letter is FROM):
- Sandman/Festival of Sleep (January)
- Cupid/Valentine’s Day (February)
- Leprechaun (you may make up a name)/St. Patrick’s Day (March)
- Easter Bunny/Easter (April)
- Mother Nature/Mother’s Day (May)
- Father Time/Father’s Day (June)
- Uncle Sam/Independence Day (July)
- Tooth Fairy/National Tooth Fairy Day (August)
- Jack Frost/Autumn Equinox Day (September)
- Any traditional Halloween entity/Halloween (October)
- Tom Turkey/Thanksgiving (November)
Child’s Information (this is whom the letter is TO):*
- Name: Jessie Jones
- Age: 8
- Gender: (your choice)
- Address: 123 Main Street, Fairfield, CA 94533
- School: Parkhurst Elementary
- Friends’ Names: Tommy, Susie, and Johnny
- Siblings’ Names: Jimmy and Janie
- Pets’ Names: Fido and Fluffy
- Favorite Activity: playing video games
- Chore child does regularly: washing the dishes
- Child was recently recognized for: earning a spot on the Honor Roll
*Child’s information is fictitious. Any similarity to actual persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
All submissions must be the original work of the person submitting and be appropriate for all ages. Any letters containing language or themes unsuitable for young children will not be accepted. December is not included as we want the focus to be on the more obscure magical beings rather than Santa Claus. The contest is open to anyone 13 years or older. Entries will be judged by the postmistress of our Magical Mail Office, Elf Stacy Rose, and the winners notified by email on December 20, 2018. The decisions of the judge are final and incontestable. One First Place winner will receive $500, one Second Place winner will receive $250, and one Third Place winner will receive $100. We may select up to 11 Honorable Mention winners (1 for each month). Any Honorable Mentions will receive $25. We encourage you to submit 1 letter per category for your best odds of winning a prize. Prize funds will be distributed to an individual winner (or the winner’s parent or guardian, if the winner is under 18 years old) through email using PayPal. Any federal, state, and local taxes, PayPal fees, and all similar fees and assessments, are the sole responsibility of the prize recipient.
If we do not receive at least 110 submissions (10 per category) that meet all criteria*
by the December 15th deadline, the contest will be extended until that amount is reached.
*Criteria to qualify: submission must use the information provided about Jessie Jones, submission must contain interesting information about the character and holiday in the category chosen, and submission must make sense when Jessie’s information is replaced with the information of real children.
Additional Terms & Conditions:
By entering this competition, each individual entrant (for individuals under 18 years old, the individual’s parent or guardian) grants Legendary Letters a worldwide nonexclusive, royalty-free, transferable license to use the letter, or any portion thereof, for Legendary Letters purposes, and grants Legendary Letters a world-wide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, transferable license to use the entrants’ names, likenesses, photographs, and/or biographical information for advertising, publicity, and promotional purposes.
If selected as a winner, each individual (and for individuals under 18 years old, the individual’s parent or guardian) hereby agrees to irrevocably grant and assign exclusively to Legendary Letters all rights, including copyright interests in the letters, under all laws, treaties and conventions throughout the world, in all forms, languages and media, now or hereafter known or developed without limitation. Use, publication, or dissemination by winners of their respective essay may be permitted at the discretion of Legendary Letters, as approved in writing in advance by Legendary Letters. Submitting a letter to this competition does not guarantee that the Submission will be displayed or used by Legendary Letters.
Legendary Letters reserves the right to refuse any Submission in its sole discretion. Legendary Letters also reserves the right at any time during the competition to remove or disqualify any Submission when it believes in its sole discretion that the entrant has: (i) infringed any third party’s copyright; (ii) failed to comply with these Terms and Conditions; or (iii) failed to obtain the necessary consents as set out in these terms and conditions.
Legendary Letters shall not be liable for any claims, costs, liabilities, damages, expenses, and losses arising out of (i) Legendary Letters’ use of the Submission; (ii) the entrant’s participation in the competition; (iii) technical failures of any kind including but not limited to problems or delays arising from software or equipment malfunctions or computer viruses; and (iv) any events outside Legendary Letters’ reasonable control.
By entering this competition, each individual entrant, (and for individuals under 18 years old, the individual’s parent or guardian) represents and warrants that: (i) the entrant is the sole author, creator, and owner of the Submission; (ii) except for material used by permission, none of the intellectual property rights in the Submission, or any portion thereof, has been assigned or transferred to anyone other than the entrant; (iii) the Submission, through its creation and its submission as an entry, does not violate any applicable laws; and (iv) the Submission, through its creation and its submission as an entry, does not infringe upon or violate intellectual property rights held by any third person or party.
Any entrant who supplies false information, enters the Contest by fraudulent means, or is otherwise determined to be in violation of the eligibility criteria or terms of the Contest shall be ineligible for any prize and shall be required to forfeit any prize obtained based on such information or means.
By entering a Submission in the Contest, each individual entrant (and for individuals under 18 years old, the individual’s parent or guardian) agrees to comply with and be bound by the official rules and decisions of Legendary Letters.
This Contest is void where prohibited. The Contest shall be governed by, construed and enforced in accordance with the laws of California.
Via: Legendary Letters.
- Taking Submissions: Contrary Spring 2019 Issue - December 14, 2018
- Video Refresh: The Waiting Game - December 14, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Great Weather For Media - December 13, 2018
- Ongoing Submissions: The Master’s Review - December 13, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Blood Bath Literary Zine Issue 2: DEMONS - December 12, 2018
- Taking Submissions: AGNI Online - December 12, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Penny Fiction 2019 - December 11, 2018
- Ongoing Submissions: Future Science Fiction Digest - December 11, 2018
- Taking Submissions: The Literary Hatchet - December 11, 2018
- Taking Submissions: Monsters Out of the Closet Episode 18 – Gothic - December 10, 2018