- This event has passed.
Taking Submissions: Dark Warrior
July 31, 2015
Deadline: July 31st
Payment: $1, 1% royalties for a year, digital contributor’s copy
For our first anthology we want horrific stories centralizing around a ‘dark warrior’. The dark warrior can be the protagonist, villain, side character, etc. but it must be integral to the story, without the dark warrior, there wouldn’t be a story.
We are flexible about sub-genre, but it should be horror primarily.
So send us your tales of modern demon hunters consumed with vengeance so fierce they become worse then the creatures they hunt. Show us undead warriors who possess a loyalty so strong, that not even death itself can prevent them from fighting for their land and country. Terrify us with unholy legions of dark sentinels descending upon the helpless in the name of their diabolical overlords.
Whatever you do, make sure the story is so terrifying or the artwork so sinister that we have no choice but to fearfully respect your dark warrior.
We are currently accepting short stories for our yearly anthology, flash fiction for our weekly horror blog, and illustrations for an anthology contest.
If you wish for us to review one of your published ebooks for promotion on this sight, please refer to the bottom of this page.
Short Stories: To be included in our annual anthology
Payment: $1 and 1% royalties for a year
Word count: 2,500 – 7,000
(5,000 is preferred)
Submission Window: May 1st – July 31st
(Anything submitted outside of this window will be deleted without being read)
Projected publication date: October
Please follow these guidelines when submitting
(Failure to comply may result in your story being deleted without being read)
- Please put your name and email on the first page of the manuscript in the top left with word count on the top right.
- Standard manuscript formatting (example).
- Courier or Times New Roman at 12pt. font. Italics are fine, but no underlining.
- Double spaced.
- Please don’t use TAB or indent lines using the space bar. Use ‘Styles’ to indent. If you unsure how to use ‘Styles’ then leaving out the indent is fine (This saves me a lot of work, if you want to learn how to use ‘Styles’, which can save you a lot of time when writing, then download the free Smashwords Style Guide).
- No space between paragraphs unless using a line-break. One space after full stops.
- Send submissions to [email protected]
- In the subject line of your email, please put Horror: [Story Title] (Example: Horror: Unworthy Sacrifice)
- Multiple submissions are ok, but if one of your stories is accepted the other story will no longer be considered.
- No simultaneous submissions
- Reprints are welcomed (Just let us know where and when it was published before).
What we will not consider in stories:
-Over the top gore
(As a rule of thumb the magazine operates under a PG-13 style rating. We do this in order to publish quality fiction that can appeal to almost any reader without causing offense)
Rights: Exclusive electronic rights for six months after the anthology’s publication, after that we ask for non-exclusive rights and you’re allowed to resubmit it elsewhere, but it will be considered a reprint so bear that in mind as some publications don’t accept reprints.
(We may also request additional rights in the future, such as print, audio, etc. this is not mandatory for acceptance in the anthology)
If you have questions about anything, please feel free to send us an email at [email protected]. Please put Horror Query in the subject line.
Via: The Dark Warrior.
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
Stuart Conover is a father, husband, published author, blogger, geek, entrepreneur, horror fanatic, and runs a few websites including Horror Tree!