- This event has passed.
Taking Submissions: Carnival Macabre
March 13, 2022
Deadline: March 13th, 2022
Payment: US: $40 + author copy/non-US: $45 + ebook author copy
Theme: Short horror stories that explore the “dark carnival” concept.
Quill & Crow Publishing House is opening submissions for our second anthology for 2022, Carnival Macabre: An Anthology of Gothic Horror, due to be released in May.
For this collection, we are looking for short horror stories (5,000 – 8,000 words) that explore the “dark carnival” concept. Think H.H. Holmes during Chicago’s World Fair (Columbian Exposition), horror at a 1920s Boardwalk, or even an eerie Victorian tale. This anthology will be more open to horror themes, but we’re looking for substance over gore. As always, keep those Gothic undertones.
Things we are looking for:
modern settings considered ONLY if they maintain a Gothic feel
Things we are not looking for:
extreme horror/extreme erotica
overtly modern adaptations
Please note: Submissions that do not follow requirements will not be considered.
1. We are accepting original works only. You must own the copyright to your submission.
2. Submissions period is from Dec 20th – March 13th, 2022. Please submit all stories to [email protected] with the subject line: Carnival Macabre / Your Title / Genre. Emails sent to other email addresses will not be considered.
2. All submissions must be in English and follow standard MLA formatting (double spaced, 12-point Times New Roman font). Work must be polished and edited (to the best of your ability). Please submit as a .docx file and include your name, title, and word count on the front page.
3. Story length is 5,000 to 8,000 words. Submissions below 5,000 words and above 8,000 words will not be considered.
4. Accepted authors will receive compensation per contract agreement (US: $40 + author copy/non-US: $45 + ebook author copy).
5. We do accept multiple submissions and we do accept reprints if author has maintained their rights to do so.
6. We will only receive one submission per author. Please do not contact any Quill & Crow employees on their social media accounts with submissions questions.
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
Stuart Conover is a father, husband, published author, blogger, geek, entrepreneur, horror fanatic, and runs a few websites including Horror Tree!