Taking Submissions: Utah Horror Writers 7th annual anthology
Deadline: October 31st, 2020
Payment: Poetry – $10, Flash – $15, Short Fiction – $20, Novelette – $35
Theme: Wasatch Witches.
Note: Must be connected to Utah somehow to submit
Calling all horror writers! Submissions are now OPEN for the Utah Horror Writers 7th annual anthology!
Utah Horror Writers is proud to announce its seventh annual horror anthology and call for submissions! Following the success of our previous six anthologies, we’re pleased to announce this year’s theme: Wasatch Witches.
Submissions will be accepted from now until 11:59 PM (Mountain) on October 31, 2020. We’re looking for well-written stories and poems involving witches or witchcraft, and which are set firmly within the horror genre. A connection to Utah is required, either on the part of the author or the work itself. If you’re not sure whether you or your work would qualify, please contact us at [email protected].
Entries will be judged on compliance with submission requirements, the quality of writing, originality, creativity, and the inclusion of thematic elements, specifically Horror and the overarching theme of witches/witchcraft. Gratuitous erotica, gore, profanity, as well as manuscripts promoting drug abuse, child abuse, illegal activities, or self-harm will only be considered if the gratuities are critical to the story itself; otherwise, please do not try to cover up bad writing with shock.
Remember: the genre for your story, poems, and/or visual art should be Horror. Elements of other genres – Western, Paranormal, Speculative, Dystopian, Magic Realism, Gothic, etc. – are acceptable as long as they are only elements that contribute to the overall genre of Horror.
If you are unclear on what horror and other genres are, see Writer’s Digest’s Definition of Fiction Categories and Genres: http://resources.writersonlineworkshops.com/resources/definitions-of-fiction-categories-and-genres/
Writers must also be willing to work with editorial staff to revise their work to meet publication standards.
WASATCH WITCHES: A Collection of Utah Horror
Anticipated release: April 2021
- Poetry: up to three poems, no greater than five pages in combined length
- Flash Fiction: no greater than 1,000 words
- Short Fiction: no greater than 5,000 words
- Novelette: no greater than 15,000 words
- Submissions must be received via our submission form no later than 31 Oct 2019 at 11:59 MST in order to be considered.
- Work must clearly incorporate the theme and genre.
- A connection to Utah is required, either on the part of the author or the work itself.
- Manuscripts must be submitted in .doc, .docx, or .rtf format.
- Flash, short stories, and novelettes must follow Shunn formatting guidelines with one exception: Do not include your name anywhere in the manuscript (including the title page, header/footer, or file name). Shunn guidelines can be found at: https://www.shunn.net/format/story.html
- Poetry should be submitted in a single doc, .docx, or .rtf file.
Our selection process is blind to give every writer equal consideration, regardless of prior publication credits or chapter membership.
Works that do not adhere to the above requirements will not be considered.
Multiple submissions are welcome, but entrants are limited to one submission per category. Please file separate submissions for each category; do not combine multiple categories into a single submission.
Rights: Fear Knocks Press will hold exclusively publishing rights (print and electronic) for 12 months.
Payment: One contributor’s copy, plus:
- Poetry – $10
- Flash – $15
- Short Fiction – $20
- Novelette – $35
Click below to submit!
Via: Utah Horror Writers.